Jan 25, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
Now, it’s onto the next thing.
Roy, acquired from Buffalo in exchange for Steve Ott during the offseason, is in the final year of a six-year, $24 million deal.
“We’ll start that soon,” Nieuwendyk said when asked about a Roy contract extension. “He’s a smart, two-way player, and he’s only going to get better as he gets to know our team.
“It’s a priority for us.”
Roy is 29 (30 in May) and has two points in four games for the Stars this season, averaging 19:47 of ice time. At his peak, he was a solid scorer — 81 points in 78 games in 2007-08 — but has been on a steady slide ever since, scoring 70, 69, 35 (in 35 games mind you) and 44 points in the four seasons since.
That said, a large part of Roy’s struggles were due to a serious quadriceps tendon injury and slow recovery from it.
It sounds as though Roy will be part of the long-term plan in Dallas. Based on the cap numbers — and the willingness of new owner Tom Gaglardi to spend money — the Stars have invested a significant chunk of change in a core group featuring Benn, Alex Goligoski, Loui Eriksson, Trevor Daley and Kari Lehtonen, all signed through 2016.
Roy is a bit older than most of the group, but age hasn’t scared off Dallas in the past.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)