Jan 25, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
Now, it’s onto the next thing.
Roy, acquired from Buffalo in exchange for Steve Ott during the offseason, is in the final year of a six-year, $24 million deal.
“We’ll start that soon,” Nieuwendyk said when asked about a Roy contract extension. “He’s a smart, two-way player, and he’s only going to get better as he gets to know our team.
“It’s a priority for us.”
Roy is 29 (30 in May) and has two points in four games for the Stars this season, averaging 19:47 of ice time. At his peak, he was a solid scorer — 81 points in 78 games in 2007-08 — but has been on a steady slide ever since, scoring 70, 69, 35 (in 35 games mind you) and 44 points in the four seasons since.
That said, a large part of Roy’s struggles were due to a serious quadriceps tendon injury and slow recovery from it.
It sounds as though Roy will be part of the long-term plan in Dallas. Based on the cap numbers — and the willingness of new owner Tom Gaglardi to spend money — the Stars have invested a significant chunk of change in a core group featuring Benn, Alex Goligoski, Loui Eriksson, Trevor Daley and Kari Lehtonen, all signed through 2016.
Roy is a bit older than most of the group, but age hasn’t scared off Dallas in the past.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)