Jan 25, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche skated to a 4-0 win over the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets, thanks to a pair of goals from 22-year-old centre Matt Duchene.
But it was his second of the night that got folks on Twitter talking.
Great goal by Matt Duchene there. The kid is having a fantastic start to the year. 2 goals and an assist tonight.—
Cody Nickolet (@WHLFromAbove) January 25, 2013
The absence of restricted free agent Ryan O’Reilly, who is still in contract negotiations with the Avalanche despite terminating his contract with the KHL’s Metallurg Magnitogorsk, has put pressure to score squarely on the shoulders of Duchene and teammate Paul Stastny, wrote Terry Frei of the Denver Post.
On Thursday, Duchene not only scored twice, he added an assist.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 1
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)