Jan 25, 2013, 11:52 AM EST
It’s believed the Canadiens are hoping to sign Subban to a short-term “bridge” contract that would leave him a restricted free agent upon its expiration.
To make the Canadiens’ case, Bergevin could reference the two-year, $5.1 million deal that was recently given to Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto as well as the two-year, $5 million deal that defenseman Dmitry Kulikov signed with the Panthers.
Subban’s camp, on the other hand, will no doubt point out the five-year, $26.25 million contract the Dallas Stars just awarded 23-year-old forward Jamie Benn.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 0
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 6
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 11
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 29
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5