Jan 25, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
It’s believed the Canadiens are hoping to sign Subban to a short-term “bridge” contract that would leave him a restricted free agent upon its expiration.
To make the Canadiens’ case, Bergevin could reference the two-year, $5.1 million deal that was recently given to Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto as well as the two-year, $5 million deal that defenseman Dmitry Kulikov signed with the Panthers.
Subban’s camp, on the other hand, will no doubt point out the five-year, $26.25 million contract the Dallas Stars just awarded 23-year-old forward Jamie Benn.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 8
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 9
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 40
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)