Jan 25, 2013, 11:52 AM EST
It’s believed the Canadiens are hoping to sign Subban to a short-term “bridge” contract that would leave him a restricted free agent upon its expiration.
To make the Canadiens’ case, Bergevin could reference the two-year, $5.1 million deal that was recently given to Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto as well as the two-year, $5 million deal that defenseman Dmitry Kulikov signed with the Panthers.
Subban’s camp, on the other hand, will no doubt point out the five-year, $26.25 million contract the Dallas Stars just awarded 23-year-old forward Jamie Benn.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 3
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8