Jan 25, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
It’s believed the Canadiens are hoping to sign Subban to a short-term “bridge” contract that would leave him a restricted free agent upon its expiration.
To make the Canadiens’ case, Bergevin could reference the two-year, $5.1 million deal that was recently given to Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto as well as the two-year, $5 million deal that defenseman Dmitry Kulikov signed with the Panthers.
Subban’s camp, on the other hand, will no doubt point out the five-year, $26.25 million contract the Dallas Stars just awarded 23-year-old forward Jamie Benn.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)