Subban’s agents to meet with Habs GM today

Jan 25, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT

gyi0062064233-subban

In what could be a pivotal moment in the PK Subban contract negotiations, Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin will meet with the 23-year-old’s agents this morning in Toronto (per Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos).

It’s believed the Canadiens are hoping to sign Subban to a short-term “bridge” contract that would leave him a restricted free agent upon its expiration.

To make the Canadiens’ case, Bergevin could reference the two-year, $5.1 million deal that was recently given to Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto as well as the two-year, $5 million deal that defenseman Dmitry Kulikov signed with the Panthers.

Perhaps more importantly, those bridge contracts were the kind signed by Subban’s teammates, Carey Price and Max Pacioretty.

Related:

I want to be paid what I’m worth,” says Subban

Should the Habs trade PK Subban?

1. rich859 - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

The Habs should pay him what he’s worth… A one way ticket out of Montreal.

• ferrantej - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Trade him to Philly – I could always use another reason to hate the Flyers.

• jaredphi - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Speaking as a Flyers fan, NO thank you!

2. ethanmacleod1685 - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Cocky idiot!

3. jaredphi - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM

“Subban’s camp, on the other hand, will no doubt point out the five-year, $26.25 million contract the Dallas Stars just awarded 23-year-old forward Jamie Benn.”

^But Subban is no Jamie Benn……..not even close.

• misterchainbluelightning - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Not even close?

Ya good luck finding young puck moving Dmen in the NHL

Why doesn’t everyone talking junk about Subban come up with a list on young puck moving Dmen that are available in trade.

I’ll tell you all right now the list is WAY WAY WAY shorter than Centermen. Teams get these type of Dmen, and don’t let them go unless they are getting a ransom.

Blah Blah Blah his attitude, he can move the puck up ice with his legs and can pass as well, and remain solid defensively. Coaches and GM’s salivate for these types more than anything else in the league.

• jaredphi - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

If a team wants a puck-moving Dman, there are other options as some teams have a glut of them right now: NJ Devils, Buffalo Sabres and Phoenix Coyotes are all holding more Dmen than they need.

So, since you asked, I will give you a list:

Andy Greene, Mark Fayne, Henrik Tallinder or Peter Harrold all might be available from NJ.

Derrick Morris seems the most likely for PHX to trade.

Buffalo is carrying 9 Dmen and Jordan Leopold, Robyn Regehr, Andrej Sekera, Alexander Sulzer, Mike Weber, Adam Pardy and T.J. Brennan all might be able to be pried loose. Leopold and Regehr are scheduled to become UFAs this summer, as are Pardy and Sulzer. Weber and Brennan are restricted free agents this summer.

Most of these guys would come for smaller cap hits than PK Subban….and most – if not all – wouldn’t create as toxic an environment with a club.

• misterchainbluelightning - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Those names literally made me LOL, and Derrick Morris? LMAO the guy is akin to Joe Corvo when it comes to actually playing defence.
        Andy Greene? 30 year old Andy Greene?
        Mark Fayne? LMAO did you seriously just suggest than Mark Fayne is on Subban’s level? Well you should get ahold of his agent and let him know. And then Tallinder a 34 year old?

I stopped reading after that, and skimmed over your fail list of fail defensemen that are either old, overpaid and old, or suck.

You reply is an epic joke of jokes.
        Young talented and solid 2 way D man. You never named one, you never came close.

Dont reply if you’re going to defend this garbage or come up with more fail comparisons.

• misterchainbluelightning - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I need to reply again to state that your reply is by far the most clueless bunch of clap-trap that has been posted on these boards since blomfeld called Schnider a top 3 NHL goalie.

• jaredphi - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Look man, you may not agree with me but you can at least be somewhat civil about it.

Are you PK Subban himself? Because if not, I’m a bit perplexed as to why you are so uptight over my voicing my opinion of him and his play.

Also, please do not put words into my mouth. I never said Fayne was on Subban’s level. Those are your words. You asked me to give you a list of puck-moving Dmen and I did that. Now, after re-reading your post, I see you also mentioned “young”, which I didn’t notice in my first read when I replied. I wasn’t trying to compile a list of Dmen on Subban’s level, but simply a list of puck-moving Dmen that are available potentially in a trade.

So, please just chill a bit. Smoke a bone or something (like I plan to do myself when I get home from work).

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jan 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Guys! You can’t compare a d man and a forward when it comes to monetary compensation. You have to compare apples with apples.

4. jpelle82 - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM

5 mill a year for 4 years. take it or leave it. i wouldnt pay it or want him on my team but i’m sick of hearing about it. i cant see paying more or any longer for a 23 yr old defenseman with 2 yrs under his belt. numbers arent that great and he is a diva with a behavioral problem.

• misterchainbluelightning - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I get the impression that your suggestion is closer to what Subban wants than what the team is offering.

And if I’m P.K.’s agent I absolutely want something close to Benn’s deal.

• jaredphi - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Of course. If anyone on here were PK’s agent, they’d want something close to Benn’s deal. Since agents receive a percentage of their client’s pay, more money for the client means more money for the agent.

PK though isn’t worth what Benn just signed for….especially considering the rumors about his behavioral issues – not only toward other teams in the NHL but he also, from what I’ve heard, has irritated some of his fellow Habs (and on more than one occasion) as well in the past.

Finally, since Carey Price and Pacioretty signed the “bridge” deals that PK is refusing to agree to, what kind of example is that setting for the others on the team? Bad mojo methinks….

5. westof1club - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Pay the man. As a Caps fan, both Green (6 mil) & Carlson (5+ mil) make too much based on their production. His upside is as high as any on the MTL roster, he plays hard every shift, and he watched lesser players get paid handsomely before the lockout.

6. deezenucks - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Comon PK I drafted you in fantasy.
    Your not worth more then the contract Edler just signed, stop being greedy.

7. vipod4ever - Jan 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Behind the scenes talks, PK is going west (edm or calg) for draft picks if the bridge contract fails.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches