Jan 25, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
Restricted free agent PK Subban‘s agents met with Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin on Friday and unfortunately the meeting didn’t go well, according to TVA Sports’ Louis Jean and ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
It wasn’t a step back, but the two sides didn’t make any noteworthy progress.
“P.K. will take weekend to reflect & we will meet P.K. again on Monday,” Subban’s agent Don Meehan told Dave Stubbs.
It’s believed that Subban, 23, wants a deal in the same range as 23-year-old forward Jamie Benn‘s recently inked five-year, $26.25 million contract with the Dallas Stars. However, LeBrun suggested that Montreal might be hesitant to go past three years.
As a defenseman with Montreal, Subban has already recorded 76 points in 160 career games. At this point, Subban feels he knows what his value is and wants to be paid accordingly.
“For my style of game and for what I do for the team, the amount of minutes I play and for what I bring to the table, I have to be fairly compensated,” he said earlier this week. “We’re not trying to rob the bank here (in contract talks). We’re not reinventing anything. We’re not holding a gun to the Canadiens’ head saying, ‘Pay us this or we’re walking away.’
“We just want to be compensated for what I’m worth.”
Subban also didn’t reject the notion that he could be traded, although he still wants to play for the Canadiens.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Former first-round pick on his way to Norfolk.
Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
We’re about to find out.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
A loaded Detroit roster gets… more loaded.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
‘Hawks no like.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
For the second time this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
Chicago’s goalie depth about to be tested.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
It really wasn’t.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:29 PM EST
Because he’s spent much of this season questioning his team.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:49 PM EST
When Nashville loses, it loses big.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
It’s been a long journey for the former No. 6 overall pick.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:14 PM EST
Incident occurred on Sunday, against Boston’s Kevan Miller.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
No goals in 18 games for the Sabres.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Facing a lengthy suspension.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Bad news, especially given his history.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
He spent 16 years with and played over 600 games for the Flames.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
That’s the stadium in the ‘Peg.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
If he’s not available, the Bruins will need to call up a defenseman.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
Playing at least one more season would likely make him Ottawa’s all-time games leader.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:47 AM EST
Both teams have struggled lately.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 56
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 34
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)