Jan 25, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Restricted free agent PK Subban‘s agents met with Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin on Friday and unfortunately the meeting didn’t go well, according to TVA Sports’ Louis Jean and ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
It wasn’t a step back, but the two sides didn’t make any noteworthy progress.
“P.K. will take weekend to reflect & we will meet P.K. again on Monday,” Subban’s agent Don Meehan told Dave Stubbs.
It’s believed that Subban, 23, wants a deal in the same range as 23-year-old forward Jamie Benn‘s recently inked five-year, $26.25 million contract with the Dallas Stars. However, LeBrun suggested that Montreal might be hesitant to go past three years.
As a defenseman with Montreal, Subban has already recorded 76 points in 160 career games. At this point, Subban feels he knows what his value is and wants to be paid accordingly.
“For my style of game and for what I do for the team, the amount of minutes I play and for what I bring to the table, I have to be fairly compensated,” he said earlier this week. “We’re not trying to rob the bank here (in contract talks). We’re not reinventing anything. We’re not holding a gun to the Canadiens’ head saying, ‘Pay us this or we’re walking away.’
“We just want to be compensated for what I’m worth.”
Subban also didn’t reject the notion that he could be traded, although he still wants to play for the Canadiens.
Jul 26, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Reggie vs. Gustl: who you got?
Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Can they compromise by Tuesday?
Jul 26, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Positive updates following a scary situation.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Dominic Moore spearheaded it, but Stephane Veilleux dominated.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
The player wants $4.95 million; New York argues for $3.825 million.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
He was one of the team’s most frequent hitters in 2014-15.
Jul 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Nathan Walker spent the 2013-14 campaign in the AHL.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Vancouver took him with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
He signed with the AHL Oklahoma City Barons.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
That wasn’t the case when he began his career.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
He’s a restricted free agent, but might end up returning to Switzerland.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
In a way, she played a role in him working for the Canucks.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
He lost the starting job to Jonathan Bernier last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
He was taken with the fourth overall pick.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Two-time Stanley Cup winner played last season with KHL club HC Donbass.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
“I wish I had a really good answer — where this came from and why, and how it came about — but I don’t, to be honest.”
Jul 25, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“We’re hoping the change of scenery is going to do him good.”
Jul 25, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
But not before having played his first NHL game since 2009-10.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“It’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,”
Jul 25, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
The 32nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)