Jan 25, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Restricted free agent PK Subban‘s agents met with Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin on Friday and unfortunately the meeting didn’t go well, according to TVA Sports’ Louis Jean and ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
It wasn’t a step back, but the two sides didn’t make any noteworthy progress.
“P.K. will take weekend to reflect & we will meet P.K. again on Monday,” Subban’s agent Don Meehan told Dave Stubbs.
It’s believed that Subban, 23, wants a deal in the same range as 23-year-old forward Jamie Benn‘s recently inked five-year, $26.25 million contract with the Dallas Stars. However, LeBrun suggested that Montreal might be hesitant to go past three years.
As a defenseman with Montreal, Subban has already recorded 76 points in 160 career games. At this point, Subban feels he knows what his value is and wants to be paid accordingly.
“For my style of game and for what I do for the team, the amount of minutes I play and for what I bring to the table, I have to be fairly compensated,” he said earlier this week. “We’re not trying to rob the bank here (in contract talks). We’re not reinventing anything. We’re not holding a gun to the Canadiens’ head saying, ‘Pay us this or we’re walking away.’
“We just want to be compensated for what I’m worth.”
Subban also didn’t reject the notion that he could be traded, although he still wants to play for the Canadiens.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)