Jan 25, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Restricted free agent PK Subban‘s agents met with Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin on Friday and unfortunately the meeting didn’t go well, according to TVA Sports’ Louis Jean and ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
It wasn’t a step back, but the two sides didn’t make any noteworthy progress.
“P.K. will take weekend to reflect & we will meet P.K. again on Monday,” Subban’s agent Don Meehan told Dave Stubbs.
It’s believed that Subban, 23, wants a deal in the same range as 23-year-old forward Jamie Benn‘s recently inked five-year, $26.25 million contract with the Dallas Stars. However, LeBrun suggested that Montreal might be hesitant to go past three years.
As a defenseman with Montreal, Subban has already recorded 76 points in 160 career games. At this point, Subban feels he knows what his value is and wants to be paid accordingly.
“For my style of game and for what I do for the team, the amount of minutes I play and for what I bring to the table, I have to be fairly compensated,” he said earlier this week. “We’re not trying to rob the bank here (in contract talks). We’re not reinventing anything. We’re not holding a gun to the Canadiens’ head saying, ‘Pay us this or we’re walking away.’
“We just want to be compensated for what I’m worth.”
Subban also didn’t reject the notion that he could be traded, although he still wants to play for the Canadiens.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)