Some Sabres miss their roomies so much they’re requesting ‘em back

Jan 25, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT

Ennis Vanek AP

One of the new CBA provisions is the “roommate clause,” in which all players past their entry-level contracts get their own hotel rooms on the road.

While originally thought to be a boon for the players’ union — under previous rules, players had to have logged 600 games or 10 years in the NHL to bunk solo — the Buffalo Sabres are learning that being alone has its downfalls.

“Now it’s a lot of hours where you’re spending time alone,” head coach Lindy Ruff told the Buffalo News. “You have nobody to talk to.

“We’ve even had one request where guys want to room together still, so I think it’s funny when you’re offered something and all of a sudden you’re rooming by yourself and think, ‘You know, this isn’t as fun as it used to be.’”

The only Sabres on entry-level deals are Marcus Foligno, Mikhail Grigorenko and Cody Hodgson. So those three are stuck together to, I dunno, build pillow forts or whatever.

But the entry-level rule hasn’t stopped veterans from keeping their roomies. During the recently completed trip to Carolina (the Sabres lost 6-3 to the ‘Canes on Thursday), Thomas Vanek and Andrej Sekera decided they’d share a hotel suite. Which is adorable.

Agitator extraordinaire Patrick Kaleta says he misses his old roommate, mostly because his old roommate would help him get to meetings, meals and bus rides on time.

“The past two times I’ve had guys make sure that I’m up,” Kaleta said Thursday. “It’s just the paranoia of making sure you’re up and not being able to rely on your roommate in case you do forget.”

1. jeremyroenickdanceparty - Jan 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM

pillow forts…gold. keep the laughs comin’ Halford.

• davebabychreturns - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I believe David Booth tweeted last year that he and Hodgson hung out and watched The Lion King together so.. it may not be so far off from the truth.

• jeremyroenickdanceparty - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM

great film

• darksidecowboy - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Hakuna Matata!

• workerparasite - Jan 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Too bad Booth then went out and shot Mufasa.

2. broadstbully33 - Jan 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Lol they are like teenage girls that need there slumber parties. Do they go to the bathroom together too

• 19to77 - Jan 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

How am I not surprised the masculine insecurity issues would come from a Flyers fan.

• jaredphi - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I hate to disagree with a fellow Flyers fan, but I think this shows good chemistry emanating out of Buffalo.

Teammates that enjoy one another’s company are happier, move motivated and – one would think – would play better together.

• 19to77 - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

That raises a question I’ve had for Flyers fans for a while – do you guys think Holmgren’s annual big moves and deals do more harm or good for the team in the long run? It seems like all the teams that have won recently were built over several years, keeping almost all the players together the whole time.

Homer usually seems to get good value in his trades, but he also continually shifts the team’s identity – three captains in four years, a revolving door of goalies, a very different forward corps as compared to even just two years ago… it seems like every time they fall short, someone gets voted off the island, so to speak. Do you think it’s better to try to build the team that way, or should he perhaps be a little more patient with his players?

• jaredphi - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

19to77 – Very good question and one I actually haven’t considered before.

I agree Homer tends to make good trades, but at the same time, I also question the patience shown with some of the players.

I was VERY glad to get Schenn and Simmonds in the Richards trade, but I wasn’t very down on Richie to begin with. Yeah, he parties a bit and there were rumors he and Pronger had issues, but I thought he was a good captain and a clutch performer for Philly. It was one of those trades where I liked our acquisitions but didn’t want to part with the player we sent the other way.

Carter – on the other hand – I was cheering when we sent him for Voracek and the 8th pick that turned into Coots. Carts was always quite injury-prone, a streaky player with scoring and imo – he didn’t fit Philly’s ethos as he wasn’t very gritty. Plus, he had a tendency in his last few years with us to whiff on empty net opportunities.

Luca Sbisa and Lupul a couple years back for Prongs – Loved the trade at the time…..but now – with the benefit of hindsight bias, since Pronger is now done for good and much sooner than any of us thought back then – I would like to go back in time and reverse it.

Then, there are the trades I think of – from the LONG-AGO past – that I hated when they happened. These, however, didn’t happen on Homer’s watch. The first that comes to mind was sending Patrick Sharp to Chicago for Matt Ellison (god that was AGES ago!). I saw good development in Sharp and I thought, at the time, we should’ve hung onto him. Look at him now – an Alternate Cap in Chicago, team leader and a point producer extraordinaire.

So, I suppose the short story is – Homer gets it right most of the time, I think, but like all of us, there will be times when he might regret a hasty action or two.

Once again, excellent question. I had to think a bit about this and….to be honest…I’m still not sure whether my answer is entirely spot on. :)

• thedavesiknowiknow - Jan 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

You wouldn’t happen to drive a monster truck, would you?

3. broadstbully33 - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

How is anything in my comment insecurities? Nice try tho bud lol pathetic

• thailer35 - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

How is anything in my comment an insecurity? Nice try though, bud. Pathetic.

That’s how your comment should have appeared had it not gone through your meathead filter. Notice the lack of an “lol” and the proper grammar and punctuation.

I don’t see what’s wrong with this though. How are you supposed to trust that your linemate will be in position if you can’t trust that he’ll iron your pants while you’re in the shower?

• elemeno89 - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

relating men who enjoy the comradeship of a teammate and suggesting they go to the bathroom together. there is nothing wrong with a bromance. haven’t you seen i love you man? every guy needs a best friend, and it sucks when you don’t have anyone to talk to or rely on.

i feel sorry for you, because you probably dont have one of those.

4. bigbadbruins77 - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM

somebody has to make sure Seguin gets up in time…

5. loinstache - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

This is hilarious and kinda endearing. Humans are social animals, why else are they on a team to play before millions of fans.

6. 19to77 - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Besides, certain hockey bromances are just gold. Toews and Kaner, Hall and Eberle, Seguin and Bergeron, guys like that bring some comedy to the game and the fans love it.

7. darksidecowboy - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Imagine being Ilya Bryzgolov’s roommate? The conversations would be priceless, the universe, which bears are the scariest, hot wives, etc.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches