Jan 25, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
One of the new CBA provisions is the “roommate clause,” in which all players past their entry-level contracts get their own hotel rooms on the road.
While originally thought to be a boon for the players’ union — under previous rules, players had to have logged 600 games or 10 years in the NHL to bunk solo — the Buffalo Sabres are learning that being alone has its downfalls.
“Now it’s a lot of hours where you’re spending time alone,” head coach Lindy Ruff told the Buffalo News. “You have nobody to talk to.
“We’ve even had one request where guys want to room together still, so I think it’s funny when you’re offered something and all of a sudden you’re rooming by yourself and think, ‘You know, this isn’t as fun as it used to be.’”
But the entry-level rule hasn’t stopped veterans from keeping their roomies. During the recently completed trip to Carolina (the Sabres lost 6-3 to the ‘Canes on Thursday), Thomas Vanek and Andrej Sekera decided they’d share a hotel suite. Which is adorable.
Agitator extraordinaire Patrick Kaleta says he misses his old roommate, mostly because his old roommate would help him get to meetings, meals and bus rides on time.
“The past two times I’ve had guys make sure that I’m up,” Kaleta said Thursday. “It’s just the paranoia of making sure you’re up and not being able to rely on your roommate in case you do forget.”
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 13
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 29
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)