Jan 25, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
San Jose Sharks center Joe Thornton knows what it’s like to be the NHL’s leading scorer.
He actually achieved the feat back in 2005-06, following the previous lockout, with 125 points in 81 games split between the Boston Bruins and Sharks.
Thornton must find the work stoppages as motivation, because he leads the NHL with nine points in three games. He jumped into the lead thanks to a four-point effort in a come-from-behind 5-3 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes Thursday night.
“I know what he likes to do, he knows what I like to do. It doesn’t matter if we were playing together during this lockout or not, we’re still going to have good chemistry,” Thornton told the San Jose Mercury News.
The Sharks have averaged five goals per game, which is only second to their Californian cousins, the Anaheim Ducks.
On Thursday, the Sharks fell behind by two goals in the third period, but scored four times in just 10:45 to claim the win.
“We held them to two shots in the second period and were controlling every aspect of the game,” Coyotes captain Shane Doan told NHL.com.
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 57
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (59)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)