Jan 25, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
San Jose Sharks center Joe Thornton knows what it’s like to be the NHL’s leading scorer.
He actually achieved the feat back in 2005-06, following the previous lockout, with 125 points in 81 games split between the Boston Bruins and Sharks.
Thornton must find the work stoppages as motivation, because he leads the NHL with nine points in three games. He jumped into the lead thanks to a four-point effort in a come-from-behind 5-3 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes Thursday night.
“I know what he likes to do, he knows what I like to do. It doesn’t matter if we were playing together during this lockout or not, we’re still going to have good chemistry,” Thornton told the San Jose Mercury News.
The Sharks have averaged five goals per game, which is only second to their Californian cousins, the Anaheim Ducks.
On Thursday, the Sharks fell behind by two goals in the third period, but scored four times in just 10:45 to claim the win.
“We held them to two shots in the second period and were controlling every aspect of the game,” Coyotes captain Shane Doan told NHL.com.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:13 PM EST
“At the same time, Mike will maintain his focus on doing all he can to help Nashville win its first-ever Stanley Cup.”
Mar 5, 2015, 6:47 PM EST
Won’t suit up when the Caps take on Minnesota.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
That’s former minor-league player Jordan Hart.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 PM EST
Big forward who doesn’t mind dropping the gloves.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
He recently called them the “best group I’ve had since ’09.”
Mar 5, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
Might get into coaching.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Nashville’s won just two of its last eight.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 PM EST
Calgary takes on Boston tonight at TD Garden.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Huge blow to their slim playoff chances.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 PM EST
Will take the pre-game skate to determine if he can play.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EST
That’d be Sens goalie Andrew Hammond.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Following an incident against Washington on Mar. 1.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Up to 107 points in just 40 games.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny 0
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52