Jan 25, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Ville Leino is on IR and hasn’t played a game this season due to a right hip injury — but it’s not going to require surgery, according to Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff.
Not going to require surgery right away, that is.
“There’s no talk about surgery right now. We might as well just squash that,” Ruff told the Buffalo News. “Maybe down the road it happens. I don’t know. But right now there’s some other treatment options that are possible.
“We had an MRI on it and it looked OK. These hip things are things that can go a lot of different directions.”
Earlier this week, CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reported that Leino would require offseason surgery. He spent two seasons with Philadelphia and had surgery on his left hip while there, and reportedly felt like he should’ve had double hip surgery at the time.
Leino didn’t play during the lockout, so the hip problem appears to be a lingering issue.
“We’ve been doing rehab trying to get the discomfort away,” he explained. “Today it felt a lot better. Hopefully it will feel better in the long run too. I felt really good today for 20-25 minutes.
“Then it got a little tired and it’s the best so far.”
The 29-year-old Finn is coming off a disappointing first campaign in Buffalo after signing a six-year, $27 million deal in July 2011.
He only scored eight goals in 71 games and finished with a minus-2 rating.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)