Jan 25, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Ville Leino is on IR and hasn’t played a game this season due to a right hip injury — but it’s not going to require surgery, according to Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff.
Not going to require surgery right away, that is.
“There’s no talk about surgery right now. We might as well just squash that,” Ruff told the Buffalo News. “Maybe down the road it happens. I don’t know. But right now there’s some other treatment options that are possible.
“We had an MRI on it and it looked OK. These hip things are things that can go a lot of different directions.”
Earlier this week, CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reported that Leino would require offseason surgery. He spent two seasons with Philadelphia and had surgery on his left hip while there, and reportedly felt like he should’ve had double hip surgery at the time.
Leino didn’t play during the lockout, so the hip problem appears to be a lingering issue.
“We’ve been doing rehab trying to get the discomfort away,” he explained. “Today it felt a lot better. Hopefully it will feel better in the long run too. I felt really good today for 20-25 minutes.
“Then it got a little tired and it’s the best so far.”
The 29-year-old Finn is coming off a disappointing first campaign in Buffalo after signing a six-year, $27 million deal in July 2011.
He only scored eight goals in 71 games and finished with a minus-2 rating.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 0
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 40
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 73
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks