Jan 25, 2013, 8:37 PM EST
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Matt Greene might return this season, but it won’t be anytime soon after undergoing back surgery this week.
The Los Angeles Kings are projecting that the 29-year-old will miss at least eight weeks as he recovers from a herniated disc.
He was hurt during the team’s season-opener on Saturday and was initially projected to miss the 2013 campaign. As it is, this injury will probably cost him most of the shortened season.
Greene doesn’t get a lot of points, but he was one of the Kings’ key penalty killers last season. He also finished second on the team in hits and third in blocked shots.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)