Jan 25, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Matt Greene might return this season, but it won’t be anytime soon after undergoing back surgery this week.
The Los Angeles Kings are projecting that the 29-year-old will miss at least eight weeks as he recovers from a herniated disc.
He was hurt during the team’s season-opener on Saturday and was initially projected to miss the 2013 campaign. As it is, this injury will probably cost him most of the shortened season.
Greene doesn’t get a lot of points, but he was one of the Kings’ key penalty killers last season. He also finished second on the team in hits and third in blocked shots.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 0
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54