Jan 25, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Matt Greene might return this season, but it won’t be anytime soon after undergoing back surgery this week.
The Los Angeles Kings are projecting that the 29-year-old will miss at least eight weeks as he recovers from a herniated disc.
He was hurt during the team’s season-opener on Saturday and was initially projected to miss the 2013 campaign. As it is, this injury will probably cost him most of the shortened season.
Greene doesn’t get a lot of points, but he was one of the Kings’ key penalty killers last season. He also finished second on the team in hits and third in blocked shots.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 25
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 53
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)