Jan 25, 2013, 8:37 PM EST
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Matt Greene might return this season, but it won’t be anytime soon after undergoing back surgery this week.
The Los Angeles Kings are projecting that the 29-year-old will miss at least eight weeks as he recovers from a herniated disc.
He was hurt during the team’s season-opener on Saturday and was initially projected to miss the 2013 campaign. As it is, this injury will probably cost him most of the shortened season.
Greene doesn’t get a lot of points, but he was one of the Kings’ key penalty killers last season. He also finished second on the team in hits and third in blocked shots.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 16
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8