Jan 25, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
The New York Islanders have announced that goalie Rick DiPietro will make his season debut tonight when they take on the Boston Bruins at TD Garden.
DiPietro, 31, last appeared in an NHL contest 419 days ago — Dec. 3, 2011 — before missing extensive time with a groin injury.
The oft-injured netminder hasn’t been completely inactive since then, mind you.
He spent some time with SC Riessersee of the German second division during the lockout (where he denied reports he re-injured his groin) and came back to Isles camp healthy, ready to get his career back on track…again.
DiPietro’s a Massachusetts native, so no huge surprise the Isles are giving him the start in Boston. The decision was also likely made easier by the fact Evgeni Nabokov‘s played three games in five nights, and faced 43 shots against Toronto.
DiPietro last faced the Bruins on Nov. 19, 2011 — a 6-0 loss at Nassau in which he was hooked after allowing three goals on 13 shots in the first period.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)