Jan 25, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Scott Gomez took part in Friday’s practice and will probably play in his first game with the San Jose Sharks on Saturday, according to CSN Bay Area.
“We’ll get a health update tomorrow on the roster,” Sharks coach Todd McLellan. “He had a good practice today. We used him in some different situations in practice, so he should feel a little more comfortable. We’d really like to see what he’s going to do.”
The 33-year-old forward joined Ryane Clowe Marty Havlat, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, and Justin Braun on the second power-play unit. When it comes to 5-on-5 play, Gomez is likely to skate alongside James Sheppard and Adam Burish.
Gomez inked a one year, $700,000 deal with the Sharks after the Montreal Canadiens bought out his old seven-year, $51.5 million contract.
He reached the 70-point mark four times during his tenure with the New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers, but his career has been on a downward slope for quite some time. He finished the 2011-12 campaign with just 11 points in 38 games.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)