Jan 25, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Scott Gomez took part in Friday’s practice and will probably play in his first game with the San Jose Sharks on Saturday, according to CSN Bay Area.
“We’ll get a health update tomorrow on the roster,” Sharks coach Todd McLellan. “He had a good practice today. We used him in some different situations in practice, so he should feel a little more comfortable. We’d really like to see what he’s going to do.”
The 33-year-old forward joined Ryane Clowe Marty Havlat, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, and Justin Braun on the second power-play unit. When it comes to 5-on-5 play, Gomez is likely to skate alongside James Sheppard and Adam Burish.
Gomez inked a one year, $700,000 deal with the Sharks after the Montreal Canadiens bought out his old seven-year, $51.5 million contract.
He reached the 70-point mark four times during his tenure with the New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers, but his career has been on a downward slope for quite some time. He finished the 2011-12 campaign with just 11 points in 38 games.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires