Jan 25, 2013, 10:55 PM EST
New York Islanders goaltender Rick DiPietro returned to his Massachusetts roots to take on the Bruins in Boston on Friday, but it was more than just a homecoming for the 31-year-old goaltender.
Injuries limited DiPietro to just 47 games over the previous four seasons and going into this contest, he hadn’t played in the NHL since Dec. 3, 2011.
The Islanders fell 4-2 and DiPietro only managed to save 23 shots, but Islanders coach Jack Capuano stuck up for him after the contest.
“We had some guys that could’ve played a bit better, that could’ve stepped it up. Rick played well and kept us in the game,” Capuano said.
DiPietro was feeling great physically going into the shortened season, but his path to redemption is an uphill climb. 37-year-old goaltender Evgeni Nabokov started in the Islanders’ first three contests and should maintain the number one gig this season unless DiPietro can wrestle it away from him.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)