Jan 25, 2013, 4:23 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes lost the services of Matthew Lombardi during Thursday night’s 5-3 loss in San Jose.
On Friday, GM Don Maloney suggested Lombardi might be lost for more than just one game.
“Matthew got injured last night and may be out for a significant amount of time,” Maloney explained on SiriusXM NHL radio.
Maloney went on to explain the club is hesitant to divulge information on injuries — “we don’t get too specific,” he said, when talking about goalie Mike Smith — and it remains unclear exactly what happened to Lombardi.
His last shift against the Sharks came early in the second period and lasted just 14 seconds before he left for good.
The immediate concern will be that Lombardi suffered some type of head injury, given his lengthy concussion history.
After posting a career-best 19G-34A-53PTS with the ‘Yotes in 2009-10, Lombardi signed a three-year, $10.5 million deal with the Predators but suffered a concussion during the preseason and only ended up playing two games in Nashville.
He was dealt to Toronto in July 2011 but ran into healthy problems yet again, missing 18 games with an arm injury.
Update: In what’s likely a related move, the Coyotes have recalled Nick Johnson from AHL Portland.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)