Jan 25, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes lost the services of Matthew Lombardi during Thursday night’s 5-3 loss in San Jose.
On Friday, GM Don Maloney suggested Lombardi might be lost for more than just one game.
“Matthew got injured last night and may be out for a significant amount of time,” Maloney explained on SiriusXM NHL radio.
Maloney went on to explain the club is hesitant to divulge information on injuries — “we don’t get too specific,” he said, when talking about goalie Mike Smith — and it remains unclear exactly what happened to Lombardi.
His last shift against the Sharks came early in the second period and lasted just 14 seconds before he left for good.
The immediate concern will be that Lombardi suffered some type of head injury, given his lengthy concussion history.
After posting a career-best 19G-34A-53PTS with the ‘Yotes in 2009-10, Lombardi signed a three-year, $10.5 million deal with the Predators but suffered a concussion during the preseason and only ended up playing two games in Nashville.
He was dealt to Toronto in July 2011 but ran into healthy problems yet again, missing 18 games with an arm injury.
Update: In what’s likely a related move, the Coyotes have recalled Nick Johnson from AHL Portland.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)