Jan 25, 2013, 4:23 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes lost the services of Matthew Lombardi during Thursday night’s 5-3 loss in San Jose.
On Friday, GM Don Maloney suggested Lombardi might be lost for more than just one game.
“Matthew got injured last night and may be out for a significant amount of time,” Maloney explained on SiriusXM NHL radio.
Maloney went on to explain the club is hesitant to divulge information on injuries — “we don’t get too specific,” he said, when talking about goalie Mike Smith — and it remains unclear exactly what happened to Lombardi.
His last shift against the Sharks came early in the second period and lasted just 14 seconds before he left for good.
The immediate concern will be that Lombardi suffered some type of head injury, given his lengthy concussion history.
After posting a career-best 19G-34A-53PTS with the ‘Yotes in 2009-10, Lombardi signed a three-year, $10.5 million deal with the Predators but suffered a concussion during the preseason and only ended up playing two games in Nashville.
He was dealt to Toronto in July 2011 but ran into healthy problems yet again, missing 18 games with an arm injury.
Update: In what’s likely a related move, the Coyotes have recalled Nick Johnson from AHL Portland.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 0
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 6
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 49
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 70
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)