Jan 25, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes lost the services of Matthew Lombardi during Thursday night’s 5-3 loss in San Jose.
On Friday, GM Don Maloney suggested Lombardi might be lost for more than just one game.
“Matthew got injured last night and may be out for a significant amount of time,” Maloney explained on SiriusXM NHL radio.
Maloney went on to explain the club is hesitant to divulge information on injuries — “we don’t get too specific,” he said, when talking about goalie Mike Smith — and it remains unclear exactly what happened to Lombardi.
His last shift against the Sharks came early in the second period and lasted just 14 seconds before he left for good.
The immediate concern will be that Lombardi suffered some type of head injury, given his lengthy concussion history.
After posting a career-best 19G-34A-53PTS with the ‘Yotes in 2009-10, Lombardi signed a three-year, $10.5 million deal with the Predators but suffered a concussion during the preseason and only ended up playing two games in Nashville.
He was dealt to Toronto in July 2011 but ran into healthy problems yet again, missing 18 games with an arm injury.
Update: In what’s likely a related move, the Coyotes have recalled Nick Johnson from AHL Portland.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 7
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 25
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 63
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control