Jan 25, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes lost the services of Matthew Lombardi during Thursday night’s 5-3 loss in San Jose.
On Friday, GM Don Maloney suggested Lombardi might be lost for more than just one game.
“Matthew got injured last night and may be out for a significant amount of time,” Maloney explained on SiriusXM NHL radio.
Maloney went on to explain the club is hesitant to divulge information on injuries — “we don’t get too specific,” he said, when talking about goalie Mike Smith — and it remains unclear exactly what happened to Lombardi.
His last shift against the Sharks came early in the second period and lasted just 14 seconds before he left for good.
The immediate concern will be that Lombardi suffered some type of head injury, given his lengthy concussion history.
After posting a career-best 19G-34A-53PTS with the ‘Yotes in 2009-10, Lombardi signed a three-year, $10.5 million deal with the Predators but suffered a concussion during the preseason and only ended up playing two games in Nashville.
He was dealt to Toronto in July 2011 but ran into healthy problems yet again, missing 18 games with an arm injury.
Update: In what’s likely a related move, the Coyotes have recalled Nick Johnson from AHL Portland.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)