Jan 25, 2013, 12:08 AM EST
Washington Capitals forward Troy Brouwer threw away the media filter Thursday when he described his team’s play to begin the season.
The Capitals were beaten 4-1 by the Montreal Canadiens on home ice at the Verizon Center, and have opened the schedule with three straight losses. They’ve scored just six times in those three games, and have allowed 14 goals.
Alex Ovechkin, a three-time 50-goal scorer and once a 60-goal scorer through seven full seasons in the NHL, is still without a goal, and has just one assist.
Criticism directed towards Ovechkin started on opening day, when Washington Times Capitals and NHL reporter Stephen Whyno wrote the Russian star was “almost invisible for much of the season-opening loss” to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The Canadiens erupted to the lead in the second period with four goals, including two on the power play.
The Canadiens are off to a 2-1 start, but the organization continues to deal with the ongoing contract dispute with restricted free agent PK Subban.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)