Jan 25, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
For the first time this season the Washington Capitals won’t be leaving a game completely empty handed — but that doesn’t mean they’ll be in a celebrating mood.
The New Jersey Devils slowly established a 2-0 lead against the Capitals over the first two periods of Friday’s contest. However, Washington bounced back late in the third thanks to a power-play goal by forward Mike Ribeiro and a snap shot by defenseman Mike Green that found its way past Devils netminder Martin Brodeur.
That evened the game going into overtime, but the Capitals couldn’t get anything going in the extra period and eventually forward Ilya Kovalchuk managed to power the puck by Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth to secure the 3-2 overtime victory.
You can watch the game-winning goal below:
Washington is now 0-3-1 this season. The last time they were winless through four games was 1993-94 when they started the season 0-6-0, according to the NHL.com. The Capitals still managed to make the playoffs that season, but it was also an 84-game campaign.
Washington will continue its search for a win against Buffalo on Sunday (3:00 p.m. ET at the Verizon Center).
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)