Jan 25, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
For the first time this season the Washington Capitals won’t be leaving a game completely empty handed — but that doesn’t mean they’ll be in a celebrating mood.
The New Jersey Devils slowly established a 2-0 lead against the Capitals over the first two periods of Friday’s contest. However, Washington bounced back late in the third thanks to a power-play goal by forward Mike Ribeiro and a snap shot by defenseman Mike Green that found its way past Devils netminder Martin Brodeur.
That evened the game going into overtime, but the Capitals couldn’t get anything going in the extra period and eventually forward Ilya Kovalchuk managed to power the puck by Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth to secure the 3-2 overtime victory.
You can watch the game-winning goal below:
Washington is now 0-3-1 this season. The last time they were winless through four games was 1993-94 when they started the season 0-6-0, according to the NHL.com. The Capitals still managed to make the playoffs that season, but it was also an 84-game campaign.
Washington will continue its search for a win against Buffalo on Sunday (3:00 p.m. ET at the Verizon Center).
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 5
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 14
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 11
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 17
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)