Jan 25, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
For the first time this season the Washington Capitals won’t be leaving a game completely empty handed — but that doesn’t mean they’ll be in a celebrating mood.
The New Jersey Devils slowly established a 2-0 lead against the Capitals over the first two periods of Friday’s contest. However, Washington bounced back late in the third thanks to a power-play goal by forward Mike Ribeiro and a snap shot by defenseman Mike Green that found its way past Devils netminder Martin Brodeur.
That evened the game going into overtime, but the Capitals couldn’t get anything going in the extra period and eventually forward Ilya Kovalchuk managed to power the puck by Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth to secure the 3-2 overtime victory.
You can watch the game-winning goal below:
Washington is now 0-3-1 this season. The last time they were winless through four games was 1993-94 when they started the season 0-6-0, according to the NHL.com. The Capitals still managed to make the playoffs that season, but it was also an 84-game campaign.
Washington will continue its search for a win against Buffalo on Sunday (3:00 p.m. ET at the Verizon Center).
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 0
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7