Jan 24, 2013, 11:22 AM EST
One of the most highly-touted prospects in the Wild organization is on his way to Minnesota.
On Thursday, the Wild announced they’ve recalled defenseman Jonas Brodin from AHL Houston, meaning the Swedish defenseman could make his NHL debut on Friday against Detroit.
Brodin, 19, was taken 10th overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent the last three years playing with Farjestads of the Swedish Elite League.
He was a standout for Team Sweden’s gold medal-winning side at the 2012 World Juniors and had four points in eight games with the Aeros this year, but missed significant time after suffering a broken collarbone on a Taylor Hall hit (while Hall was playing for Oklahoma City.)
According to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Brodin’s availability for Friday’s game will depend partly on the health of defenseman Jared Spurgeon (foot).
The Wild also need to decide what to do with 2012 first-rounder Matt Dumba, who made the team out of training camp but has yet to appear in a game.
It’s possible they’ll re-assign him to WHL Red Deer, though he could still make the two-game road trip to Detroit and St. Louis as an emergency/injury replacement.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 2
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 107
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (110)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)