Jan 24, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Two veteran NHLers will be yanked from their respective lineups on Thursday night.
In Los Angeles, Dustin Penner has been made a healthy scratch by head coach Daryl Sutter for a road date in Edmonton.
The 30-year-old winger has struggled to start the season — minus-2, four PIM, zero shots on goal last game vs. Colorado — and owned up to playing poorly.
“I wish I could say that I played better, but I haven’t,” he said prior to tonight’s contest. “It’s all on me.”
Penner took no issue with Sutter for dropping him just two games into a shortened season — one that was preceded by a brief training camp.
“[Sutter] has the best intentions for me,” he explained. “I’ve had a lot of tough love. And this is different and similar in a lot of aspects.”
Elsewhere, ‘Canes blueliner Joe Corvo will be parked tonight when his club takes on the Sabres in Carolina.
The 35-year-old’s had a rough start to the year. He’s minus-2, and saw his ice time drop from 20:12 in the season opening loss to Florida to 15:23 in Tuesday’s defeat to Tampa Bay.
Jamie McBain will replace Corvo in the lineup, making his season debut. Carolina coach Kirk Muller hopes McBain will help keep the ‘Canes from falling behind early.
(They trailed Florida 4-0 after the first and Tampa Bay 2-0 after one.)
“When you trail in six periods it’s a different game,” Muller told the Raleigh News and Observer. “How you use your bench, which guys you use. But we need better first periods. We come out tentative for some reason.
“We have to come out hard tonight and just play simple and have a good first period.”
ESPN New York’s Katie Strang says Kreider is a healthy scratch tonight for the Rangers.
Not a huge surprise, given Kreider was called out by head coach John Tortorella recently and is potentially facing demotion to AHL Connecticut.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Neither team has done a good job of playing with the lead.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
He made his series debut in the late stages of Game 3.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
“I do look cross-eyed for sure.”
Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Patrick Roy made it official on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
There he is with Patrick Bordeleau’s glove in his face.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
Physical battle starting to take its toll.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Are changes needed?
Apr 23, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
All the goals came against Ilya Bryzgalov, which is worth mentioning.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
All games can be seen on either NBC, NBCSN or CNBC.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
First time he’s been scratched in the playoffs in 10 years.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Two of the NHL’s best offenses have struggled with the man advantage.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 29
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)