Jan 24, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Two veteran NHLers will be yanked from their respective lineups on Thursday night.
In Los Angeles, Dustin Penner has been made a healthy scratch by head coach Daryl Sutter for a road date in Edmonton.
The 30-year-old winger has struggled to start the season — minus-2, four PIM, zero shots on goal last game vs. Colorado — and owned up to playing poorly.
“I wish I could say that I played better, but I haven’t,” he said prior to tonight’s contest. “It’s all on me.”
Penner took no issue with Sutter for dropping him just two games into a shortened season — one that was preceded by a brief training camp.
“[Sutter] has the best intentions for me,” he explained. “I’ve had a lot of tough love. And this is different and similar in a lot of aspects.”
Elsewhere, ‘Canes blueliner Joe Corvo will be parked tonight when his club takes on the Sabres in Carolina.
The 35-year-old’s had a rough start to the year. He’s minus-2, and saw his ice time drop from 20:12 in the season opening loss to Florida to 15:23 in Tuesday’s defeat to Tampa Bay.
Jamie McBain will replace Corvo in the lineup, making his season debut. Carolina coach Kirk Muller hopes McBain will help keep the ‘Canes from falling behind early.
(They trailed Florida 4-0 after the first and Tampa Bay 2-0 after one.)
“When you trail in six periods it’s a different game,” Muller told the Raleigh News and Observer. “How you use your bench, which guys you use. But we need better first periods. We come out tentative for some reason.
“We have to come out hard tonight and just play simple and have a good first period.”
ESPN New York’s Katie Strang says Kreider is a healthy scratch tonight for the Rangers.
Not a huge surprise, given Kreider was called out by head coach John Tortorella recently and is potentially facing demotion to AHL Connecticut.
May 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
You be the judge.
May 24, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
May 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Including one of his coaching rivals from the QMJHL.
May 24, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Dan Bylsma sticking with the same lineup.
May 24, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Kevin Prendergast (pictured) and longtime NHL netminder Ron Tugnutt were let go.
May 24, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
“The NHL remains committed to securing the Coyotes’ future in Glendale under new ownership, and we believe Don’s long-term agreement evidences that he is equally committed,” said the deputy commish.
May 24, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
He’s missed the entire series with a broken hand.
May 24, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has a few things he’d like in return.
May 24, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully, we’ll find that chemistry,” says Spezza.
May 24, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
Just a few days after turfing assistant coach Peter Horachek.
May 24, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
Aside from, you know, facing elimination from the Stanley Cup playoffs.
May 24, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Chin up, rookie.
May 24, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
Say hello to Curtis McElhinney.
May 24, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Torts not expected to make any lineup changes.
May 24, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Rangers’ blueliner saw plenty of action in Game 4, though.
May 24, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
If so, do you like it?
May 24, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
He was Guy Boucher’s right-hand man, so no huge surprise.
May 24, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
The postgame comment that just won’t go away.
May 24, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
The Red Wings’ star may go back to Russia after next season.
May 24, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Back in Vegas next year.
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 0
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights