Jan 24, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Two veteran NHLers will be yanked from their respective lineups on Thursday night.
In Los Angeles, Dustin Penner has been made a healthy scratch by head coach Daryl Sutter for a road date in Edmonton.
The 30-year-old winger has struggled to start the season — minus-2, four PIM, zero shots on goal last game vs. Colorado — and owned up to playing poorly.
“I wish I could say that I played better, but I haven’t,” he said prior to tonight’s contest. “It’s all on me.”
Penner took no issue with Sutter for dropping him just two games into a shortened season — one that was preceded by a brief training camp.
“[Sutter] has the best intentions for me,” he explained. “I’ve had a lot of tough love. And this is different and similar in a lot of aspects.”
Elsewhere, ‘Canes blueliner Joe Corvo will be parked tonight when his club takes on the Sabres in Carolina.
The 35-year-old’s had a rough start to the year. He’s minus-2, and saw his ice time drop from 20:12 in the season opening loss to Florida to 15:23 in Tuesday’s defeat to Tampa Bay.
Jamie McBain will replace Corvo in the lineup, making his season debut. Carolina coach Kirk Muller hopes McBain will help keep the ‘Canes from falling behind early.
(They trailed Florida 4-0 after the first and Tampa Bay 2-0 after one.)
“When you trail in six periods it’s a different game,” Muller told the Raleigh News and Observer. “How you use your bench, which guys you use. But we need better first periods. We come out tentative for some reason.
“We have to come out hard tonight and just play simple and have a good first period.”
ESPN New York’s Katie Strang says Kreider is a healthy scratch tonight for the Rangers.
Not a huge surprise, given Kreider was called out by head coach John Tortorella recently and is potentially facing demotion to AHL Connecticut.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“It will help me down the road.”
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The former first-rounder still needs to prove himself.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The forward is already endearing himself to Blue Jackets fans.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Ottawa’s offseason is receiving mixed reviews.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
He doesn’t know how to haggle.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Dallas Stars version.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Let’s make a big deal out of this, shall we?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
A “well-deserved” honor, according to Ed Snider.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Beginning with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Click for the full 30-team schedule.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Brandon Sutter next?
Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
But he also won’t require surgery.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
All that and more, inside.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
“We’re moving along on that.”
Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)