Jan 24, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
The New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins orchestrated a minor deal on Thursday as Benn Ferriero went to the Blueshirts in exchange for Chad Kolarik.
Ferriero, 25, is the more experienced of the two. A former Phoenix draft pick, he inked a free agent deal with San Jose in 2009 and went on to appear in 92 regular season and eight playoff games for the Sharks.
Ferriero’s most memorable moment came during the 2011 Western Conference semifinals, when he scored the OT winner in Game 1 against Detroit — his first and only postseason marker:
Ferriero signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Penguins in July but spent all his time in AHL Wilkes-Barre, scoring 18 points in 33 games.
Kolarik, 26, was also a former Phoenix draftee that was traded to Columbus (where he made his NHL debut), then New York. He’s only appeared in six career NHL contests but emerged as a solid scorer at the AHL level — this year, he had 33 points in 40 games for the Connecticut Whale.
As for where both will end up? Ferriero has already been assigned to the Whale and Kolarik will report to Wilkes-Barre.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)