Jan 24, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
The New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins orchestrated a minor deal on Thursday as Benn Ferriero went to the Blueshirts in exchange for Chad Kolarik.
Ferriero, 25, is the more experienced of the two. A former Phoenix draft pick, he inked a free agent deal with San Jose in 2009 and went on to appear in 92 regular season and eight playoff games for the Sharks.
Ferriero’s most memorable moment came during the 2011 Western Conference semifinals, when he scored the OT winner in Game 1 against Detroit — his first and only postseason marker:
Ferriero signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Penguins in July but spent all his time in AHL Wilkes-Barre, scoring 18 points in 33 games.
Kolarik, 26, was also a former Phoenix draftee that was traded to Columbus (where he made his NHL debut), then New York. He’s only appeared in six career NHL contests but emerged as a solid scorer at the AHL level — this year, he had 33 points in 40 games for the Connecticut Whale.
As for where both will end up? Ferriero has already been assigned to the Whale and Kolarik will report to Wilkes-Barre.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)