Jan 24, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
The New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins orchestrated a minor deal on Thursday as Benn Ferriero went to the Blueshirts in exchange for Chad Kolarik.
Ferriero, 25, is the more experienced of the two. A former Phoenix draft pick, he inked a free agent deal with San Jose in 2009 and went on to appear in 92 regular season and eight playoff games for the Sharks.
Ferriero’s most memorable moment came during the 2011 Western Conference semifinals, when he scored the OT winner in Game 1 against Detroit — his first and only postseason marker:
Ferriero signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Penguins in July but spent all his time in AHL Wilkes-Barre, scoring 18 points in 33 games.
Kolarik, 26, was also a former Phoenix draftee that was traded to Columbus (where he made his NHL debut), then New York. He’s only appeared in six career NHL contests but emerged as a solid scorer at the AHL level — this year, he had 33 points in 40 games for the Connecticut Whale.
As for where both will end up? Ferriero has already been assigned to the Whale and Kolarik will report to Wilkes-Barre.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)