Jan 24, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
The New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins orchestrated a minor deal on Thursday as Benn Ferriero went to the Blueshirts in exchange for Chad Kolarik.
Ferriero, 25, is the more experienced of the two. A former Phoenix draft pick, he inked a free agent deal with San Jose in 2009 and went on to appear in 92 regular season and eight playoff games for the Sharks.
Ferriero’s most memorable moment came during the 2011 Western Conference semifinals, when he scored the OT winner in Game 1 against Detroit — his first and only postseason marker:
Ferriero signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Penguins in July but spent all his time in AHL Wilkes-Barre, scoring 18 points in 33 games.
Kolarik, 26, was also a former Phoenix draftee that was traded to Columbus (where he made his NHL debut), then New York. He’s only appeared in six career NHL contests but emerged as a solid scorer at the AHL level — this year, he had 33 points in 40 games for the Connecticut Whale.
As for where both will end up? Ferriero has already been assigned to the Whale and Kolarik will report to Wilkes-Barre.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)