Jan 24, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
The New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins orchestrated a minor deal on Thursday as Benn Ferriero went to the Blueshirts in exchange for Chad Kolarik.
Ferriero, 25, is the more experienced of the two. A former Phoenix draft pick, he inked a free agent deal with San Jose in 2009 and went on to appear in 92 regular season and eight playoff games for the Sharks.
Ferriero’s most memorable moment came during the 2011 Western Conference semifinals, when he scored the OT winner in Game 1 against Detroit — his first and only postseason marker:
Ferriero signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Penguins in July but spent all his time in AHL Wilkes-Barre, scoring 18 points in 33 games.
Kolarik, 26, was also a former Phoenix draftee that was traded to Columbus (where he made his NHL debut), then New York. He’s only appeared in six career NHL contests but emerged as a solid scorer at the AHL level — this year, he had 33 points in 40 games for the Connecticut Whale.
As for where both will end up? Ferriero has already been assigned to the Whale and Kolarik will report to Wilkes-Barre.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 0
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 8
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 6
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)