Jan 24, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes have recalled goalie Chad Johnson from AHL Portland on an emergency basis after starter Mike Smith was forced to leave Wednesday’s 5-1 win over Columbus with a lower-body injury.
Jason LaBarbera, who replaced Smith last night during the first period, will get the starting nod tonight in San Jose.
Commenting on Smith’s injury today, Phoenix coach Dave Tippett said, “Basically we caught it very early. Hopefully it’s nothing that lingers on too long.”
You can listen to the audio of the Tippett interview here. For what it’s worth, he didn’t sound too concerned.
It should be noted, however, that Smith has dealt with groin issues in the past.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)