Jan 24, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have recalled goalie Chad Johnson from AHL Portland on an emergency basis after starter Mike Smith was forced to leave Wednesday’s 5-1 win over Columbus with a lower-body injury.
Jason LaBarbera, who replaced Smith last night during the first period, will get the starting nod tonight in San Jose.
Commenting on Smith’s injury today, Phoenix coach Dave Tippett said, “Basically we caught it very early. Hopefully it’s nothing that lingers on too long.”
You can listen to the audio of the Tippett interview here. For what it’s worth, he didn’t sound too concerned.
It should be noted, however, that Smith has dealt with groin issues in the past.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)