Jan 24, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have recalled goalie Chad Johnson from AHL Portland on an emergency basis after starter Mike Smith was forced to leave Wednesday’s 5-1 win over Columbus with a lower-body injury.
Jason LaBarbera, who replaced Smith last night during the first period, will get the starting nod tonight in San Jose.
Commenting on Smith’s injury today, Phoenix coach Dave Tippett said, “Basically we caught it very early. Hopefully it’s nothing that lingers on too long.”
You can listen to the audio of the Tippett interview here. For what it’s worth, he didn’t sound too concerned.
It should be noted, however, that Smith has dealt with groin issues in the past.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 24
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 51
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)