Jan 24, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes have recalled goalie Chad Johnson from AHL Portland on an emergency basis after starter Mike Smith was forced to leave Wednesday’s 5-1 win over Columbus with a lower-body injury.
Jason LaBarbera, who replaced Smith last night during the first period, will get the starting nod tonight in San Jose.
Commenting on Smith’s injury today, Phoenix coach Dave Tippett said, “Basically we caught it very early. Hopefully it’s nothing that lingers on too long.”
You can listen to the audio of the Tippett interview here. For what it’s worth, he didn’t sound too concerned.
It should be noted, however, that Smith has dealt with groin issues in the past.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12