Jan 24, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have recalled goalie Chad Johnson from AHL Portland on an emergency basis after starter Mike Smith was forced to leave Wednesday’s 5-1 win over Columbus with a lower-body injury.
Jason LaBarbera, who replaced Smith last night during the first period, will get the starting nod tonight in San Jose.
Commenting on Smith’s injury today, Phoenix coach Dave Tippett said, “Basically we caught it very early. Hopefully it’s nothing that lingers on too long.”
You can listen to the audio of the Tippett interview here. For what it’s worth, he didn’t sound too concerned.
It should be noted, however, that Smith has dealt with groin issues in the past.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)