Jan 24, 2013, 8:36 AM EST
Although the 21-year-old inked a two-year deal with the KHL club, it came with an out clause and the two sides appear to have agreed to mutually terminate the contract.
One factor in the timing could be that the window for Metallurg to sign a potential replacement will end on Jan. 31, so this gives them ample time to do so. However, the team also claims that he “aggravated” a foot injury in his last game and it’s not clear how serious that is.
Either way, the big question now is if a deal between O’Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche is imminent. O’Reilly is a restricted free agent that has reportedly been offered separate two-year, $7 million and five-year, $17 million contracts by the Avalanche. To this point O’Reilly has held out and has already missed Colorado’s first two games as a result.
His two-way game would be a great addition to the Avalanche at any time, but they could especially use his help now that forward Steve Downie, 25, has suffered a torn ACL that will require season-ending surgery.
O’Reilly broke out with 55 points in 81 games last season.
Update: TSN’s Bob McKenzie confirmed that O’Reilly is no longer under contract with KHL Metallurg, but he emphasized that there has been no progress in the negotiations between O’Reilly and the Avalanche.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:33 AM EST
But Jeff Vinik couldn’t sway him.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
It’s not looking good in DC.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
Matt Moulson set to make his Minnesota debut.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
It’s been a rough few days for Mike Gillis.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:07 AM EST
The Capitals have waited a long time for him.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:15 AM EST
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Ugly start for Vancouver vs. Dallas.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:23 AM EST
Worth staying up late for East Coast hockey fans.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:41 AM EST
He did it with style, too.
Mar 6, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
They might want to stay off of Twitter.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
He should provide commentary to as many Vancouver games as possible.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 PM EST
Jhonas Enroth is making the most of his opportunity, to say the least.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
This one looks painful.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:06 PM EST
Boston shut them out 3-0 on Thursday.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
Plenty of talent on the ice for this late one.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:48 PM EST
It’s unclear how severe the injury is.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
No one will wear No. 5 in Detroit again.
Mar 6, 2014, 7:56 PM EST
Injuries make him a key player instantly with Red Wings.
Mar 6, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
No denying whose team it is now, anyway.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:27 PM EST
He’s expected to line up with Tomas Plekanec and Alex Galchenyuk.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 12
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 26
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 30
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)