Jan 24, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
Without the services of Scott Hartnell for 4-8 weeks, the Philadelphia Flyers will sign unrestricted free agent Mike Knuble on Friday.
Knuble, 40, has worn a Flyers uniform before. The big forward spent four productive seasons in Philadelphia, scoring 114 goals from 2005-06 to 2008-09.
Since leaving the Flyers, he’s spent the last three seasons with the Washington Capitals. In 2011-12, he struggled to score just six goals in 72 regular-season contests, logging only 13:57 of ice time per game.
However, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren thinks Knuble will provide veteran leadership and can still play quality minutes.
“He’s excited to come back,” said Holmgren. “He’s familiar with some of our players.There’s still a few guys left here from when he played.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)