Jan 24, 2013, 12:02 AM EDT
“I can’t tell you how much we wanted that win. We needed it,” Richards said.
Technically, the Rangers might not have actually needed to win, yet one can sense the desperation growing for struggling teams like New York’s 0-3 division rivals in Philadelphia.
A look at the standings does indicate how much more comfortable things are with that W. The Rangers are now ranked fourth in the Atlantic and 12th in the East, but at least they’re not one of the three remaining teams* without a single point.
If you want a summary of how they generated that much-needed victory, these highlights should do the trick:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
* – That tormented trio includes the Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals and the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 5
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 2
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2