Jan 24, 2013, 3:03 PM EST
Pittsburgh forward Evgeni Malkin won’t face any additional discipline for getting in the face of officials after a 5-2 loss to Toronto on Wednesday night.
Rob Rossi of the Tribune-Review reports Malkin has escaped suspension after receiving a game misconduct for verbal abuse of an official, called after the final horn blew.
Malkin was furious with a series of calls from the crew of referees Ghislain Hebert and Kelly Sutherland, and linesmen David Brisebois and Shane Heyer.
Pittsburgh was whistled for 10 penalties, including a stretch in the second period where the Pens were dinged four times in the first 12 minutes.
“I‘m really mad at a couple [of] calls,” Malkin said on Thursday. “But…I lose control. It was bad emotion. It was my fault.”
Pens captain Sidney Crosby also got in on the critique, earning himself an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty with two minutes left in the game. Toronto scored on the ensuring power play.
It’s not overly surprising that Hebert was at the center of an officiating controversy, given his history:
– Last December, Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville called Hebert’s work in a game vs. LA “tough to watch.”
– Malkin also got dinged for an abuse of officials misconduct while playing in the KHL during the lockout.
– No word yet if a fine will be levied against Malkin. Last season, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan seemed to hand out fines for comments made after (or, before) games, rather than in the heat of the moment.
Also, almost all the fines for criticizing officials were levied against coaches.
The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more!
Dec 11, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
Also, has John Tortorella really changed?
Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
He’ll undergo tests when the team returns to Detroit.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
No word yet if permission has been granted.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Former Devils alternate captain speaks his mind.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Leaves the AHL as its leading scorer.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 AM EST
Morgan Rielly to follow?
Dec 11, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
It’s been quite the goalie carousel since 2010.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
Minnesota has just five wins from 14 games away from Xcel this season.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
He’d be a huge get for Team Sweden.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
His job might be safe despite the team’s struggles.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
Both players might be suspended for their actions last night.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
This is his third suspension.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:40 AM EST
These two teams have gone on very different paths since the 2010 Stanley Cup Final.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:36 AM EST
They beat the Sharks 3-2 via a shootout.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
His Bruins beat Calgary 2-1 on Tuesday.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 PM EST
Ben Scrivens must feel a little less special.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
He said this is his worst stretch with the team.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 10:33 PM EST
Nashville ends a five-game skid.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 0
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 5
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 14
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 11
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)