Jan 24, 2013, 1:32 PM EST
On Wednesday, LA Kings head coach Darryl Sutter delivered a message to defenseman Willie Mitchell, who’s been cleared to play after lockout knee surgery.
“You know what, he’s got doctor’s clearance,” Sutter told the LA Times. “He’s got trainers’ clearance. Coaches want him to clear himself.
“So do it.”
Is that terseness or bluntness from the bench boss?
Hard to say.
It’s clear Sutter’s none too pleased about his team’s start. The Kings looked flat in a 5-2 loss to Chicago in their home opener, then blew a third period lead in Colorado — prior to that, the Kings went 86-0-9 in 95 games when leading after 40 minutes — to start the season 0-2.
That said, Sutter is a veteran coach and knows it’s far too early to panic.
He’s also been a straight-shooter throughout his career, and this may have been an instance of him simply telling it like it is.
As for Mitchell — well, this isn’t the first time he’s been overly cautious about returning from injury. He suffered a concussion while playing in Vancouver and, after recovering, reflected on the pressure and stress he felt about returning to the ice.
“Everywhere I’d walk: ‘How’s your head? How’s your head?” Mitchell told the Times back in January 2012. “That’s the last thing I wanted to talk about. I just wanted to disconnect from that.
“So that’s what I did. I went to my place in the middle of nowhere in the forest and just chilled.”
While he’s not living in wooded isolation this time around, Mitchell says he’ll still be coming back on his terms.
“I don’t want to get out there and be a liability to my defense partner, to my teammates, to my coach,” he said. “When I come back I don’t want to come back, play the next couple of games and then [the knee] swells up and be out.”
Dec 5, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
The Stars will play against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Dec 5, 2013, 5:19 PM EST
Dec 5, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
“They’re 7-0-1 in their last eight games, and now they’re a point behind us.”
Dec 5, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
Was King Henrik’s deal a good one for the Rangers?
Dec 5, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
“Absolutely,” said Mike Gillis.
Dec 5, 2013, 4:05 PM EST
“All of the other guys, I think, have better to give.”
Dec 5, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Still unclear what ails the 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
“Here we are now and it’s a chance for us to grow as a team and work on some things that need fixing and turn in a good effort,” Blues d-man Kevin Shattenkirk said.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Which led to Montreal’s game-tying goal against New Jersey.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:03 PM EST
News and notes from the crease…
Dec 5, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Dallas Eakins sends the pair of d-men to the press box.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Detroit’s absolutely ravaged by injuries right now.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Sports legal analyst Eric Macramalla answers that question and more.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
Pittsburgh hosts San Jose tonight, not coincidentally.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
Yet another question for Glen Sather to answer.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
“We’ve got one of the better goaltenders in the world here.”
Dec 5, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Dec 5, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
Left the morning skate early.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Been a brutal season injury-wise.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
If it isn’t, it’s on life support.
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 84
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 7
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (84)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)