Jan 24, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
After rumors started making the rounds this week — some right here on PHT! — Wayne Gretzky went on Hockey Night in Canada Radio Wednesday and cleared the air, saying there was no truth to reports he could be the next president of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“It was news to me,” Gretzky explained.
The Great One hasn’t worked for an NHL club since resigning from his post as Phoenix head coach in 2009.
While he’s been tied to the Leafs for what feels like forever — last year, he was approached by a number of parties interested in buying MLSE before Rogers and Bell made the deal — Gretzky the only team that’s actually contacted him about returning in a working capacity was the Los Angeles Kings.
“I’ve spent a lot of time with people in the [Maple Leafs] organization, but not one time has there even been any direct contact,” he explained. “Really, the only team I’ve talked to about being involved is [general manager] Dean Lombardi and the L.A. Kings.”
And there you have it.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 27
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (142)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)