Jan 24, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
After rumors started making the rounds this week — some right here on PHT! — Wayne Gretzky went on Hockey Night in Canada Radio Wednesday and cleared the air, saying there was no truth to reports he could be the next president of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“It was news to me,” Gretzky explained.
The Great One hasn’t worked for an NHL club since resigning from his post as Phoenix head coach in 2009.
While he’s been tied to the Leafs for what feels like forever — last year, he was approached by a number of parties interested in buying MLSE before Rogers and Bell made the deal — Gretzky the only team that’s actually contacted him about returning in a working capacity was the Los Angeles Kings.
“I’ve spent a lot of time with people in the [Maple Leafs] organization, but not one time has there even been any direct contact,” he explained. “Really, the only team I’ve talked to about being involved is [general manager] Dean Lombardi and the L.A. Kings.”
And there you have it.
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 0
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 20
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8