Jan 24, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
After rumors started making the rounds this week — some right here on PHT! — Wayne Gretzky went on Hockey Night in Canada Radio Wednesday and cleared the air, saying there was no truth to reports he could be the next president of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“It was news to me,” Gretzky explained.
The Great One hasn’t worked for an NHL club since resigning from his post as Phoenix head coach in 2009.
While he’s been tied to the Leafs for what feels like forever — last year, he was approached by a number of parties interested in buying MLSE before Rogers and Bell made the deal — Gretzky the only team that’s actually contacted him about returning in a working capacity was the Los Angeles Kings.
“I’ve spent a lot of time with people in the [Maple Leafs] organization, but not one time has there even been any direct contact,” he explained. “Really, the only team I’ve talked to about being involved is [general manager] Dean Lombardi and the L.A. Kings.”
And there you have it.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 63
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 5
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 30
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 15
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination