Jan 24, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
If the best offer the Vancouver Canucks get for goalie Roberto Luongo happens to come from a fellow Western Conference team, then that’s the offer general manager Mike Gillis says he’ll give the most consideration.
“I’m pretty pragmatic,” Gillis told TEAM 1040 radio today.
“I care about our team and having the best team here in Vancouver that we can have. So if that means in our conference, that’s what it means.”
Canucks fans may feel a little less comfortable with the notion of Luongo being traded to, say, the up-and-coming Edmonton Oilers. Or, what if he went to Vancouver’s hated rival in Chicago? The real nightmare scenario is Luongo winning a Stanley Cup with one of those teams before the Canucks win their first ever.
For now, Gillis is “absolutely comfortable” with keeping Luongo and doesn’t believe — despite what’s being said in the media — that it’s unfair to either Luongo or the other half of the goaltending duo, Cory Schneider, to maintain the status quo.
“I really don’t think those two guys care about the situation,” Gillis said. “They’re both fighting to get into the net. They’re both good friends. I don’t think they approach it any way like that media’s trying to resemble it.”
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)