Jan 24, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
If the best offer the Vancouver Canucks get for goalie Roberto Luongo happens to come from a fellow Western Conference team, then that’s the offer general manager Mike Gillis says he’ll give the most consideration.
“I’m pretty pragmatic,” Gillis told TEAM 1040 radio today.
“I care about our team and having the best team here in Vancouver that we can have. So if that means in our conference, that’s what it means.”
Canucks fans may feel a little less comfortable with the notion of Luongo being traded to, say, the up-and-coming Edmonton Oilers. Or, what if he went to Vancouver’s hated rival in Chicago? The real nightmare scenario is Luongo winning a Stanley Cup with one of those teams before the Canucks win their first ever.
For now, Gillis is “absolutely comfortable” with keeping Luongo and doesn’t believe — despite what’s being said in the media — that it’s unfair to either Luongo or the other half of the goaltending duo, Cory Schneider, to maintain the status quo.
“I really don’t think those two guys care about the situation,” Gillis said. “They’re both fighting to get into the net. They’re both good friends. I don’t think they approach it any way like that media’s trying to resemble it.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)