Jan 24, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
If the best offer the Vancouver Canucks get for goalie Roberto Luongo happens to come from a fellow Western Conference team, then that’s the offer general manager Mike Gillis says he’ll give the most consideration.
“I’m pretty pragmatic,” Gillis told TEAM 1040 radio today.
“I care about our team and having the best team here in Vancouver that we can have. So if that means in our conference, that’s what it means.”
Canucks fans may feel a little less comfortable with the notion of Luongo being traded to, say, the up-and-coming Edmonton Oilers. Or, what if he went to Vancouver’s hated rival in Chicago? The real nightmare scenario is Luongo winning a Stanley Cup with one of those teams before the Canucks win their first ever.
For now, Gillis is “absolutely comfortable” with keeping Luongo and doesn’t believe — despite what’s being said in the media — that it’s unfair to either Luongo or the other half of the goaltending duo, Cory Schneider, to maintain the status quo.
“I really don’t think those two guys care about the situation,” Gillis said. “They’re both fighting to get into the net. They’re both good friends. I don’t think they approach it any way like that media’s trying to resemble it.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)