Jan 24, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
If the best offer the Vancouver Canucks get for goalie Roberto Luongo happens to come from a fellow Western Conference team, then that’s the offer general manager Mike Gillis says he’ll give the most consideration.
“I’m pretty pragmatic,” Gillis told TEAM 1040 radio today.
“I care about our team and having the best team here in Vancouver that we can have. So if that means in our conference, that’s what it means.”
Canucks fans may feel a little less comfortable with the notion of Luongo being traded to, say, the up-and-coming Edmonton Oilers. Or, what if he went to Vancouver’s hated rival in Chicago? The real nightmare scenario is Luongo winning a Stanley Cup with one of those teams before the Canucks win their first ever.
For now, Gillis is “absolutely comfortable” with keeping Luongo and doesn’t believe — despite what’s being said in the media — that it’s unfair to either Luongo or the other half of the goaltending duo, Cory Schneider, to maintain the status quo.
“I really don’t think those two guys care about the situation,” Gillis said. “They’re both fighting to get into the net. They’re both good friends. I don’t think they approach it any way like that media’s trying to resemble it.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)