Jan 24, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
The new deal is five years in length, at $26.25 million.
“Jamie Benn has proven in his short, but very productive NHL career, that he is not only this franchise’s cornerstone player, but also an emerging superstar in the league,” said Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk in a statement.
“We believe that Jamie has the necessary tools to continue his growth and lead this team into the next great era of Dallas Stars hockey.”
The announcement via the social networking site came during the second period of the Stars home game against the undefeated Chicago Blackhawks. The Stars, despite being outshot 27-10 at one point in the game, were leading 2-0 on goals by Loui Eriksson and Ray Whitney.
The Stars eventually lost 3-2 in overtime, on a power goal from Marian Hossa. The Blackhawks are 4-0-0.
A Victoria, B.C. product, Benn, originally a fifth-round pick of the Stars in 2007 had a career high 26 goals and 63 points last season, was one of three younger players currently holding out to begin the lockout-shortened regular season.
Among the most notable unsigned players continues to be P.K. Subban.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)