Jan 24, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
The new deal is five years in length, at $26.25 million.
“Jamie Benn has proven in his short, but very productive NHL career, that he is not only this franchise’s cornerstone player, but also an emerging superstar in the league,” said Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk in a statement.
“We believe that Jamie has the necessary tools to continue his growth and lead this team into the next great era of Dallas Stars hockey.”
The announcement via the social networking site came during the second period of the Stars home game against the undefeated Chicago Blackhawks. The Stars, despite being outshot 27-10 at one point in the game, were leading 2-0 on goals by Loui Eriksson and Ray Whitney.
The Stars eventually lost 3-2 in overtime, on a power goal from Marian Hossa. The Blackhawks are 4-0-0.
A Victoria, B.C. product, Benn, originally a fifth-round pick of the Stars in 2007 had a career high 26 goals and 63 points last season, was one of three younger players currently holding out to begin the lockout-shortened regular season.
Among the most notable unsigned players continues to be P.K. Subban.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)