Jan 24, 2013, 12:33 PM EST
Washington forward Mathieu Perreault has responded to a story in La Presse, refuting the claim he asked for a trade out of the nation’s capital.
“All I want is a little bit more ice time and I talked to Adm Oates and George [McPhee] today about it,” Perreault told the Washington Times. “All I want is to play. I wanna be here. I don’t wanna go anywhere.
“If you guys read the article in French it doesn’t say that I asked for a trade. Never.”
On Wednesday, Marc Antoine Godin of La Pressse penned a piece based off an interview with Perreault, in which the Caps forward voiced his displeasure about his role and ice time thus far (he only played 3:52 in the season opener against Tampa, then just 4:58 in Tuesday’s loss to Winnipeg.)
A translation from Caps’ blog Russian Machine Never Breaks later emerged, in which Perreault was quoted as saying “trade me if I am not part of your plans.”
On Thursday, Perreault told the Times he never asked for a trade, but did admit to being frustrated about his role in Washington.
“I’m obviously not too happy. No one would be happy to be playing that much minutes,” he explained. “The headline says Perreault asks for a trade or something, but I never said I wanted to get traded. All I want is a little more minutes, that’s all.”
Perreault said he met with Oates and McPhee to discuss his role and classified it as a “good talk.”
The 25-year-old winger is coming off a career year in 2011-12, posting 16G-14A-30PTS in 64 games while averaging over 12 minutes per contest.
In July, the Caps gave Perreault a two-year, $2 million contract extension.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:23 PM EST
Kimmo Timonen and Antoine Vermette made their debuts.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:49 PM EST
San Jose beat Montreal 4-0 on Monday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
An impressive effort for a team going all-in.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:03 PM EST
Then again, Taylor Beck’s helper might have been better.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:14 PM EST
He’ll pair with Sergei Gonchar to start.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 PM EST
Adding versatility in a tough West.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:49 PM EST
Quite a rebound from a scary lacerated arm.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
“We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:49 PM EST
“It’s just hard to get a deal done, and you see the prices are so high.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was it just a sellers’ market?
Mar 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EST
He gets a no-trade clause in the first year of the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Devastating” news for the Calgary Flames.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
He was scheduled to become a restricted free agent after this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
They were “adamant” about bolstering their blue line.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
Second trade of the day for Boston.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Former 13th overall pick.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
A 31-year-old for a 23-year-old.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
For the price of a second-round pick in 2017.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
Busy day for Montreal.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)