Jan 24, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
Washington forward Mathieu Perreault has responded to a story in La Presse, refuting the claim he asked for a trade out of the nation’s capital.
“All I want is a little bit more ice time and I talked to Adm Oates and George [McPhee] today about it,” Perreault told the Washington Times. “All I want is to play. I wanna be here. I don’t wanna go anywhere.
“If you guys read the article in French it doesn’t say that I asked for a trade. Never.”
On Wednesday, Marc Antoine Godin of La Pressse penned a piece based off an interview with Perreault, in which the Caps forward voiced his displeasure about his role and ice time thus far (he only played 3:52 in the season opener against Tampa, then just 4:58 in Tuesday’s loss to Winnipeg.)
A translation from Caps’ blog Russian Machine Never Breaks later emerged, in which Perreault was quoted as saying “trade me if I am not part of your plans.”
On Thursday, Perreault told the Times he never asked for a trade, but did admit to being frustrated about his role in Washington.
“I’m obviously not too happy. No one would be happy to be playing that much minutes,” he explained. “The headline says Perreault asks for a trade or something, but I never said I wanted to get traded. All I want is a little more minutes, that’s all.”
Perreault said he met with Oates and McPhee to discuss his role and classified it as a “good talk.”
The 25-year-old winger is coming off a career year in 2011-12, posting 16G-14A-30PTS in 64 games while averaging over 12 minutes per contest.
In July, the Caps gave Perreault a two-year, $2 million contract extension.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Stanley Cup with Chicago.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
So long, Boston University.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)