Jan 24, 2013, 12:33 PM EST
Washington forward Mathieu Perreault has responded to a story in La Presse, refuting the claim he asked for a trade out of the nation’s capital.
“All I want is a little bit more ice time and I talked to Adm Oates and George [McPhee] today about it,” Perreault told the Washington Times. “All I want is to play. I wanna be here. I don’t wanna go anywhere.
“If you guys read the article in French it doesn’t say that I asked for a trade. Never.”
On Wednesday, Marc Antoine Godin of La Pressse penned a piece based off an interview with Perreault, in which the Caps forward voiced his displeasure about his role and ice time thus far (he only played 3:52 in the season opener against Tampa, then just 4:58 in Tuesday’s loss to Winnipeg.)
A translation from Caps’ blog Russian Machine Never Breaks later emerged, in which Perreault was quoted as saying “trade me if I am not part of your plans.”
On Thursday, Perreault told the Times he never asked for a trade, but did admit to being frustrated about his role in Washington.
“I’m obviously not too happy. No one would be happy to be playing that much minutes,” he explained. “The headline says Perreault asks for a trade or something, but I never said I wanted to get traded. All I want is a little more minutes, that’s all.”
Perreault said he met with Oates and McPhee to discuss his role and classified it as a “good talk.”
The 25-year-old winger is coming off a career year in 2011-12, posting 16G-14A-30PTS in 64 games while averaging over 12 minutes per contest.
In July, the Caps gave Perreault a two-year, $2 million contract extension.
Mar 7, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Mar 7, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Failed to “turn on the charm,” apparently.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
More praise for them on Thursday after previously calling them the best team in the NHL.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
“I thought he was real good.”
Mar 7, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
Hosting the Isles at the Saddledome.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:07 PM EST
Click to see which teams could be most impacted.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
In related news, Philly leads the NHL in penalty minutes.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:33 AM EST
But Jeff Vinik couldn’t sway him.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
It’s not looking good in DC.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
Matt Moulson set to make his Minnesota debut.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
It’s been a rough few days for Mike Gillis.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:07 AM EST
The Capitals have waited a long time for him.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:15 AM EST
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Ugly start for Vancouver vs. Dallas.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:23 AM EST
Worth staying up late for East Coast hockey fans.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:41 AM EST
He did it with style, too.
Mar 6, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
They might want to stay off of Twitter.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
He should provide commentary to as many Vancouver games as possible.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 PM EST
Jhonas Enroth is making the most of his opportunity, to say the least.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
This one looks painful.
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 0
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)