Jan 24, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Ever the optimist, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock is trying to find the silver lining in his decimated defensive corps.
“This is how I look at it from a coaching perspective: opportunity,” Babcock told ESPN.com Thursday.
“[Brian] Lashoff? I would never [have] believed he would have played for us this year, but he’s played great for us in two games. Listen, we’re a work in progress, but we’ll figure this out. This is what we’ve got. Let’s find a way to win games. That’s the way I look at it.”
Having already lost Nicklas Lidstrom (retirement) and Brad Stuart (to San Jose) during the offseason, Detroit now finds itself without Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder, IR), Ian White (lacerated leg, IR), and Jonathan Ericsson (hip, day-to-day) on the blue line.
The Wings are expected to get defenseman Jakub Kindl (groin) back Friday, but the 25-year-old isn’t exactly a cornerstone of Detroit’s back end.
For general manager Ken Holland, it presents quite the quandary. Does he wait patiently until everyone gets healthy while hoping that young Lashoff, 22, can continue his solid play, or does he make a move?
Suffice to say, any team with excess defensemen (assuming one of those exists) might want to give Holland a ring just to see where he’s at.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 0
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 17
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (36)