Jan 23, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
If there is anything better than playing that first game in the National Hockey League, it’s scoring that first NHL goal.
Edmonton Oilers right winger Nail Yakupov, 19, and Montreal Canadiens centre Alex Galchenyuk, 18, both scored their first goals in the league Tuesday night. Oilers blue liner Justin Schultz, 22, also potted his first in the league.
Yakupov, the first-overall pick in last year’s NHL Entry Draft, snapped home a beautiful feed from Sam Gagner in the first period of a 6-3 Oilers loss to the San Jose Sharks.
Galchenyuk, the third overall pick in last year’s draft, gave the Canadiens a 4-1 lead over the Florida Panthers.
The glass – on both goals – appeared to be fine.
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 21
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 101
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115