Jan 23, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
It looked like they were running a drill. And no opposing defensemen were allowed.
After a St. Louis Blues turnover just inside the Chicago Blackhawks blue line, Chicago’s line of Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp and Dave Bolland found themselves on the rare three-on-none rush, barreling down on St. Louis Blues goalie Brian Elliott.
Kane and Sharp worked the give-and-go on the play; Kane finishing the play off by swooping to his backhand and tucking the puck past an almost helpless Elliott.
Have a watch:
The goal, Kane’s second of the season, gave the Blackhawks a 1-0 lead just before the midway point of the first period.
The Blackhawks also got scoring from Brent Seabrook and Viktor Stalberg, and would fend off a third-period charge from the Blues for the 3-2 win and their third victory in a row to begin the shortened 2013 campaign.
It’s the first time since the 1972-73 season that the Blackhawks have won their first three games.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)