Jan 23, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
It looked like they were running a drill. And no opposing defensemen were allowed.
After a St. Louis Blues turnover just inside the Chicago Blackhawks blue line, Chicago’s line of Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp and Dave Bolland found themselves on the rare three-on-none rush, barreling down on St. Louis Blues goalie Brian Elliott.
Kane and Sharp worked the give-and-go on the play; Kane finishing the play off by swooping to his backhand and tucking the puck past an almost helpless Elliott.
Have a watch:
The goal, Kane’s second of the season, gave the Blackhawks a 1-0 lead just before the midway point of the first period.
The Blackhawks also got scoring from Brent Seabrook and Viktor Stalberg, and would fend off a third-period charge from the Blues for the 3-2 win and their third victory in a row to begin the shortened 2013 campaign.
It’s the first time since the 1972-73 season that the Blackhawks have won their first three games.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)