Jan 23, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
It looked like they were running a drill. And no opposing defensemen were allowed.
After a St. Louis Blues turnover just inside the Chicago Blackhawks blue line, Chicago’s line of Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp and Dave Bolland found themselves on the rare three-on-none rush, barreling down on St. Louis Blues goalie Brian Elliott.
Kane and Sharp worked the give-and-go on the play; Kane finishing the play off by swooping to his backhand and tucking the puck past an almost helpless Elliott.
Have a watch:
The goal, Kane’s second of the season, gave the Blackhawks a 1-0 lead just before the midway point of the first period.
The Blackhawks also got scoring from Brent Seabrook and Viktor Stalberg, and would fend off a third-period charge from the Blues for the 3-2 win and their third victory in a row to begin the shortened 2013 campaign.
It’s the first time since the 1972-73 season that the Blackhawks have won their first three games.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)