Jan 23, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
The New York Rangers got their first win of the season on thanks to one of the reasons people are excited about their chances: high-end scoring. Specifically, Marian Gaborik came up huge, as his overtime-winner represents the 14th hat trick of his career (and fifth with the Rangers):
Here’s video of all three goals in one convenient clip:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That game-winner represents the kind of hand-eye-coordination that earns a guy $7.5 million per season. Gaborik’s trio allowed New York to top the Boston Bruins 4-3 in OT in NBC Sports Network’s inaugural Rivalry Week Wednesday game.
Gaborik came into tonight without a tally, so he decided to make up for lost time.
The 30-year-old winger scored his first two goals about two minutes apart early in the first period, but the Bruins bounced back in the second period and eventually pushed the game into OT. It didn’t take Gabby long to end it, however, as that winner came just 27 seconds into extra time.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 28
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)