Jan 23, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
The New York Rangers got their first win of the season on thanks to one of the reasons people are excited about their chances: high-end scoring. Specifically, Marian Gaborik came up huge, as his overtime-winner represents the 14th hat trick of his career (and fifth with the Rangers):
Here’s video of all three goals in one convenient clip:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That game-winner represents the kind of hand-eye-coordination that earns a guy $7.5 million per season. Gaborik’s trio allowed New York to top the Boston Bruins 4-3 in OT in NBC Sports Network’s inaugural Rivalry Week Wednesday game.
Gaborik came into tonight without a tally, so he decided to make up for lost time.
The 30-year-old winger scored his first two goals about two minutes apart early in the first period, but the Bruins bounced back in the second period and eventually pushed the game into OT. It didn’t take Gabby long to end it, however, as that winner came just 27 seconds into extra time.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5