Jan 23, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Mark Eaton is headed back to the organization he won a Stanley Cup with in 2009.
That’s the word out of Wilkes-Barre on Wednesday, as the Penguins — Pittsburgh’s AHL affiliate — announced they’ve signed the 35-year-old defenseman to a professional tryout agreement (PTO).
A veteran of over 600 regular-season contests, Eaton spent four years with the Penguins (2006-10), playing a vital role in their ’09 Cup victory. He tied for the team lead for goals by a defenseman (four) and finished third behind Sergei Gonchar and Kris Letang for d-man scoring (seven points).
Eaton also posted his finest NHL season in Pittsburgh, posting career-highs in games played (79), assists (13) and points (16) during the 2009-10 campaign.
He left Pittsburgh following the ’10 season, signing a two-year, $5 million deal with the Islanders. During his time in New York, Eaton posted one goal, six assists and 18 penalty minutes in 96 games.
Update: Wilkes-Barre also announced veteran forward Tom Kostopoulos has been signed to a PTO. Kostopoulos, 33, spent last year with the Calgary Flames, appearing in 81 games while scoring 4G-8A-12PTS.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (173)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)