Jan 23, 2013, 8:36 AM EST
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight that coverage will kickoff when the Boston Bruins head to Madison Square Garden for a match against the New York Rangers at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Rangers will be looking for revenge after the Bruins earned a 3-1 victory against them in the season opener. New York followed that up with a 6-3 defeat to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday.
“We know their season hasn’t started the way they wanted to, so they’re going to come at us with everything they’ve got,” said Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic in a CSN New England report. “They’re a proud team and we’ve had some great battles over the last few years.”
The 24-year-old added that this is the first time the Boston Bruins have gotten to a 2-0-0 start since he joined the team and he hopes they can build off of that early momentum.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Bruins are not a team that can be taken lightly, but it looked like New York had the stronger squad on paper going into the season. The Rangers’ odds of winning the Stanley Cup were second only to the Pittsburgh Penguins, in part because of the off-season acquisition of power forward Rick Nash, 28, to add to an elite core of forwards that already included 32-year-old Brad Richards and 30-year-old Marian Gaborik.
New York initially tried to balance its top two lines by splitting up the big three, but after a 0-2-0 start, coach John Tortorella has decided to unite them on the top line, according to the Bergen Record.
Facing that desperate and skilled trio will be another key test for 25-year-old Tuukka Rask in his first season as the Boston Bruins undisputed starting goaltender.
Probable goaltenders: BOS – Rask (2-0-0, 0.96 GAA, .958 SV%) | NYR – 30-year-old Henrik Lundqvist (0-2-0, 4.77 GAA, .865 SV%)
Top scorers: BOS – Nine-way tie with one point. | NYR – Richards (1-2-3, 2 GP)
Boston – Forwards: 35-year-old Marc Savard (concussion) Defensemen: 31-year-old Dennis Seidenberg (lower body)
New York – Forwards: 34-year-old Arron Asham (groin) Defensemen: 25-year-old Michael Sauer (concussion)
Feb 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EST
Both are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
He’s an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)