Jan 23, 2013, 8:36 AM EST
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight that coverage will kickoff when the Boston Bruins head to Madison Square Garden for a match against the New York Rangers at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Rangers will be looking for revenge after the Bruins earned a 3-1 victory against them in the season opener. New York followed that up with a 6-3 defeat to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday.
“We know their season hasn’t started the way they wanted to, so they’re going to come at us with everything they’ve got,” said Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic in a CSN New England report. “They’re a proud team and we’ve had some great battles over the last few years.”
The 24-year-old added that this is the first time the Boston Bruins have gotten to a 2-0-0 start since he joined the team and he hopes they can build off of that early momentum.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Bruins are not a team that can be taken lightly, but it looked like New York had the stronger squad on paper going into the season. The Rangers’ odds of winning the Stanley Cup were second only to the Pittsburgh Penguins, in part because of the off-season acquisition of power forward Rick Nash, 28, to add to an elite core of forwards that already included 32-year-old Brad Richards and 30-year-old Marian Gaborik.
New York initially tried to balance its top two lines by splitting up the big three, but after a 0-2-0 start, coach John Tortorella has decided to unite them on the top line, according to the Bergen Record.
Facing that desperate and skilled trio will be another key test for 25-year-old Tuukka Rask in his first season as the Boston Bruins undisputed starting goaltender.
Probable goaltenders: BOS – Rask (2-0-0, 0.96 GAA, .958 SV%) | NYR – 30-year-old Henrik Lundqvist (0-2-0, 4.77 GAA, .865 SV%)
Top scorers: BOS – Nine-way tie with one point. | NYR – Richards (1-2-3, 2 GP)
Boston – Forwards: 35-year-old Marc Savard (concussion) Defensemen: 31-year-old Dennis Seidenberg (lower body)
New York – Forwards: 34-year-old Arron Asham (groin) Defensemen: 25-year-old Michael Sauer (concussion)
Dec 13, 2013, 8:15 AM EST
That and all the links to start your day ahead.
Dec 13, 2013, 2:02 AM EST
All three San Jose goals came on the power play.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
But they snapped that 10-game losing streak the other day.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:03 AM EST
His inconsistent season continues.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:36 AM EST
Quite the funk they’re in when it comes to this aspect.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:17 AM EST
Bet these guys were tired after.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
What a day in Calgary. More Brian Burke!
Dec 12, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Yeah, these are tough times.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Didn’t think too highly of it.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
But two points eluded them.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Dec 12, 2013, 10:06 PM EST
And it’s getting worse in New York.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Nice moment in Philly.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
Montreal defenseman’s night ends early.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Jonathan Bernier takes over.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Tough time to be a Columbus goalie.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
Cam Talbot was cheered upon entering the game.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
No word on the severity of TT’s injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
He’s been out with a lower-body injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Oilers coach wants to use “speed” and “smarts” tonight.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 24
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 23
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)