Jan 23, 2013, 8:36 AM EDT
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight that coverage will kickoff when the Boston Bruins head to Madison Square Garden for a match against the New York Rangers at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Rangers will be looking for revenge after the Bruins earned a 3-1 victory against them in the season opener. New York followed that up with a 6-3 defeat to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday.
“We know their season hasn’t started the way they wanted to, so they’re going to come at us with everything they’ve got,” said Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic in a CSN New England report. “They’re a proud team and we’ve had some great battles over the last few years.”
The 24-year-old added that this is the first time the Boston Bruins have gotten to a 2-0-0 start since he joined the team and he hopes they can build off of that early momentum.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Bruins are not a team that can be taken lightly, but it looked like New York had the stronger squad on paper going into the season. The Rangers’ odds of winning the Stanley Cup were second only to the Pittsburgh Penguins, in part because of the off-season acquisition of power forward Rick Nash, 28, to add to an elite core of forwards that already included 32-year-old Brad Richards and 30-year-old Marian Gaborik.
New York initially tried to balance its top two lines by splitting up the big three, but after a 0-2-0 start, coach John Tortorella has decided to unite them on the top line, according to the Bergen Record.
Facing that desperate and skilled trio will be another key test for 25-year-old Tuukka Rask in his first season as the Boston Bruins undisputed starting goaltender.
Probable goaltenders: BOS – Rask (2-0-0, 0.96 GAA, .958 SV%) | NYR – 30-year-old Henrik Lundqvist (0-2-0, 4.77 GAA, .865 SV%)
Top scorers: BOS – Nine-way tie with one point. | NYR – Richards (1-2-3, 2 GP)
Boston – Forwards: 35-year-old Marc Savard (concussion) Defensemen: 31-year-old Dennis Seidenberg (lower body)
New York – Forwards: 34-year-old Arron Asham (groin) Defensemen: 25-year-old Michael Sauer (concussion)
Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
This has happened a few times in these playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
Took this game over in the second period.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (138)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)