Jan 23, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
It appears the New York Islanders aren’t going to entertain the idea of dealing Nino Niederreiter.
Snow wouldn’t comment on the demand, but did offer the following:
“All conversations with players remain private, but I will say that Nino has never told me that he’s unhappy.”
According to Newsday, Andre Rufener — Niederreiter’s Switzerland-based agent — recently sent Snow an email asking that he try to trade his client, New York’s first-round pick (fifth overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
Here’s more, from Newsday:
Rufener declined to comment on the trade request, which was first reported by ESPN.com.
Rufener sent Snow the email last week, during the Islanders’ six-day training camp prior to the start of the current, 48-game season, voicing his displeasure with the team’s handling of his client.
The next day, Snow, along with his coaches from the Islanders and in Bridgeport [New York's AHL affiliate], sat down with Niederreiter after the scrimmage between the Islanders and the Sound Tigers and discussed why Niederreiter did not get an invite to the NHL camp.
Niederreiter took the training camp snub in stride — “I’ve learned that there are things you cannot control and you can’t worry about those,” he said — but that didn’t make the situation any less strange.
During a camp scrimmage between Bridgeport and the Isles, Niederreiter was one of the best players on the ice, scoring a pretty goal (out-muscling 6-foot-4, 240-pound defenseman Matt Carkner and beating No. 1 goalie Evgeni Nabokov in the process.)
There are also questions about how much more Niederreiter has to gain at the AHL level. He was recently named to the league’s Eastern Conference All-Star team and has 36 points in 39 games.
That said, there are arguments in favor of keeping him in the minors. Niederreiter had a difficult rookie campaign in 2011-12, scoring just one goal (his only point) in 55 games while posting a minus-29 rating.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
We should find out after tonight’s game.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Winnipeg’s won three of its last four.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
He appeared in 36 games last year.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
If you’re curious what a buyout would cost the Wings, click on the post.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Wild still suffering from Monday’s loss to the Rangers.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
After playing a man short on Tuesday in Philly.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Some good news for Edmonton on the injury front.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
If he could get going, Dallas wouldn’t be as reliant on its top line.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
The numbers are even more striking when you compare Oct. 2014 to Oct. 2003
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Nashville continues its strong start to 2014-15.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
He sat out the third period for Grand Rapids because of soreness.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Interesting discussion between Bob McKenzie and Mike Milbury.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Some controversial calls on a light Wednesday night.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Detroit’s big guns came through.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist got that 1-0 lead back.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“No news is bad news” for the veteran forward.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Also: a fun story from Mike Milbury’s playing days.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
It appears that the health of “Mr. Hockey” has been improving.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)