Jan 23, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
On a night of firsts, Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer‘s first start and victory of the 2013 season stole the show.
The 24-year-old netminder gave up his other goal when Crosby set up Malkin, 26, for his initial goal of 2013:
Reimer was then put in an unenviable position during Sid the Kid’s tally, as the famous 25-year-old burned the Buds on this semi-breakaway:
Still, from that point on early in the second period, Reimer didn’t allow another goal. Overall, he stopped 28 out of 30 shots for the victory.
It’ll be interesting to see how much of an impact this night makes on his goalie battle with Ben Scrivens. Reimer’s 26-year-old rival has a good chance of playing Toronto’s next game for the simple reason that it’s a quick turnaround as they host the New York Islanders on Thursday.
The real star of the game was James Van Riemsdyk, by the way, as his three-point night propelled the Leafs to a surprise victory. That two-goal, one-assist night fittingly represented his first points of 2013.
So, to be fair to everyone involved, the full highlights are available below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 47
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)