Jan 23, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
On a night of firsts, Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer‘s first start and victory of the 2013 season stole the show.
The 24-year-old netminder gave up his other goal when Crosby set up Malkin, 26, for his initial goal of 2013:
Reimer was then put in an unenviable position during Sid the Kid’s tally, as the famous 25-year-old burned the Buds on this semi-breakaway:
Still, from that point on early in the second period, Reimer didn’t allow another goal. Overall, he stopped 28 out of 30 shots for the victory.
It’ll be interesting to see how much of an impact this night makes on his goalie battle with Ben Scrivens. Reimer’s 26-year-old rival has a good chance of playing Toronto’s next game for the simple reason that it’s a quick turnaround as they host the New York Islanders on Thursday.
The real star of the game was James Van Riemsdyk, by the way, as his three-point night propelled the Leafs to a surprise victory. That two-goal, one-assist night fittingly represented his first points of 2013.
So, to be fair to everyone involved, the full highlights are available below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)