Jan 23, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Edmonton city councilors are poised to approve a new downtown arena financing plan that will see the Oilers move into a new $480 million home by 2016.
From the Globe and Mail:
The city would provide a total of $219-million in funding, including $140-million for the arena itself. The Katz Group would provide $143-million, including $115-million for the arena itself. $125-million would be provided by a ticket surcharge, all of it directed to the arena project.
It should be noted the plan still calls for the province to chip in $100 million for the arena, which may be easier planned than actually accomplished.
If you’re into this sort of thing, the Edmonton Journal has been running a live blog of today’s meeting.
Update: Deal approved.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 67
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona