Jan 23, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
Caps head coach Adam Oates has confirmed that Michal Neuvirth will get the start in goal when Washington hosts Montreal on Thursday night.
The news comes less than 24 hours after Braden Holtby suffered his second straight loss to begin the season — a 4-2 defeat to Winnipeg.
Through the two games, Holtby has posted a 5.04 GAA and .863 save percentage, allowing 10 goals on 73 shots.
“Whenever you let in 10 goals in two games, obviously it’s not good, but at the same time, I feel fine,” he explained. “When you break down the goals, they’re not trends or overly bad goals, other than the second one tonight, I felt. . . . I’m trying to get adapted to everything, and I want to keep improving and getting better and learning from these two games.”
Neuvirth hasn’t played this year and will make his season debut on Thursday, and rust could be a factor
While he did play 24 games during the lockout for HC Sparta Praha of the Czech Extraliga — posting a 2.51 GAA and .925 save percentage — he hasn’t faced game action since early January.
“I feel cold, but, you know, this is job I pick and I gotta handle it. I’m trying to stay positive and happy,” Neuvirth told the Washington Times. “I felt good during the practice today and I’m ready to go.”
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)