Jan 23, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are hanging in there so far against the Penguins in Pittsburgh, but Wednesday’s game could be costly. Joffrey Lupul got banged up during that contest, and various sources report that he won’t return.
Update: TSN reports that Lupul fractured his forearm. No word on the typical recovery time for such an ailment, but that doesn’t sound very promising.
Losing Phil Kessel‘s partner-in-crime is worrisome enough, yet it must be that much more unsettling to see Lupul get banged up after signing a whopping five-year, $26.25 million contract extension on Sunday. He’s had a history of injury problems – Lupul was limited to 66 games last season – so it’s not like this came out of nowhere.
Again, though, there’s no word about the severity of the problem(s) just yet.
Hey, at least the Leafs are leading the Penguins 4-2 at the moment, right?
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)