Jan 23, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are hanging in there so far against the Penguins in Pittsburgh, but Wednesday’s game could be costly. Joffrey Lupul got banged up during that contest, and various sources report that he won’t return.
Update: TSN reports that Lupul fractured his forearm. No word on the typical recovery time for such an ailment, but that doesn’t sound very promising.
Losing Phil Kessel‘s partner-in-crime is worrisome enough, yet it must be that much more unsettling to see Lupul get banged up after signing a whopping five-year, $26.25 million contract extension on Sunday. He’s had a history of injury problems – Lupul was limited to 66 games last season – so it’s not like this came out of nowhere.
Again, though, there’s no word about the severity of the problem(s) just yet.
Hey, at least the Leafs are leading the Penguins 4-2 at the moment, right?
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4