Jan 23, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are hanging in there so far against the Penguins in Pittsburgh, but Wednesday’s game could be costly. Joffrey Lupul got banged up during that contest, and various sources report that he won’t return.
Update: TSN reports that Lupul fractured his forearm. No word on the typical recovery time for such an ailment, but that doesn’t sound very promising.
Losing Phil Kessel‘s partner-in-crime is worrisome enough, yet it must be that much more unsettling to see Lupul get banged up after signing a whopping five-year, $26.25 million contract extension on Sunday. He’s had a history of injury problems – Lupul was limited to 66 games last season – so it’s not like this came out of nowhere.
Again, though, there’s no word about the severity of the problem(s) just yet.
Hey, at least the Leafs are leading the Penguins 4-2 at the moment, right?
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)