Jan 23, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are hanging in there so far against the Penguins in Pittsburgh, but Wednesday’s game could be costly. Joffrey Lupul got banged up during that contest, and various sources report that he won’t return.
Update: TSN reports that Lupul fractured his forearm. No word on the typical recovery time for such an ailment, but that doesn’t sound very promising.
Losing Phil Kessel‘s partner-in-crime is worrisome enough, yet it must be that much more unsettling to see Lupul get banged up after signing a whopping five-year, $26.25 million contract extension on Sunday. He’s had a history of injury problems – Lupul was limited to 66 games last season – so it’s not like this came out of nowhere.
Again, though, there’s no word about the severity of the problem(s) just yet.
Hey, at least the Leafs are leading the Penguins 4-2 at the moment, right?
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 0
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 26
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 48
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 80
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires