Jan 23, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have activated Jake Gardiner off injured reserve, and the 22-year-old defenseman is expected to make his season debut Wednesday night against Pittsburgh.
According to Paul Hendrick of the Maple Leafs website, Gardiner will replace Korbinian Holzer in the lineup. Holzer made his season debut in Monday’s loss to Buffalo, playing 15:09 and finishing with a minus-1 rating.
The return of Gardiner will be a boon for Toronto’s back end. The Minneapolis native finished second among all Leafs defensemen in scoring last year — his rookie year — with 7G-23A-30PTS in 75 games.
He suffered a concussion (sorry, concussion-like symptoms) in mid-December while playing for the AHL Marlies, and has been out of action ever since.
Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle had openly pined for Gardiner’s return to the lineup, mostly recently in an interview with the National Post.
“We could use his offensive and puck-carrying ability,” Carlyle said. “He’s a special player. When he tells us he’s ready, I would say we’re probably going to find a spot for him in the lineup.”
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 51
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 19
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 20
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead