Jan 23, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have activated Jake Gardiner off injured reserve, and the 22-year-old defenseman is expected to make his season debut Wednesday night against Pittsburgh.
According to Paul Hendrick of the Maple Leafs website, Gardiner will replace Korbinian Holzer in the lineup. Holzer made his season debut in Monday’s loss to Buffalo, playing 15:09 and finishing with a minus-1 rating.
The return of Gardiner will be a boon for Toronto’s back end. The Minneapolis native finished second among all Leafs defensemen in scoring last year — his rookie year — with 7G-23A-30PTS in 75 games.
He suffered a concussion (sorry, concussion-like symptoms) in mid-December while playing for the AHL Marlies, and has been out of action ever since.
Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle had openly pined for Gardiner’s return to the lineup, mostly recently in an interview with the National Post.
“We could use his offensive and puck-carrying ability,” Carlyle said. “He’s a special player. When he tells us he’s ready, I would say we’re probably going to find a spot for him in the lineup.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)