Jan 23, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have activated Jake Gardiner off injured reserve, and the 22-year-old defenseman is expected to make his season debut Wednesday night against Pittsburgh.
According to Paul Hendrick of the Maple Leafs website, Gardiner will replace Korbinian Holzer in the lineup. Holzer made his season debut in Monday’s loss to Buffalo, playing 15:09 and finishing with a minus-1 rating.
The return of Gardiner will be a boon for Toronto’s back end. The Minneapolis native finished second among all Leafs defensemen in scoring last year — his rookie year — with 7G-23A-30PTS in 75 games.
He suffered a concussion (sorry, concussion-like symptoms) in mid-December while playing for the AHL Marlies, and has been out of action ever since.
Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle had openly pined for Gardiner’s return to the lineup, mostly recently in an interview with the National Post.
“We could use his offensive and puck-carrying ability,” Carlyle said. “He’s a special player. When he tells us he’s ready, I would say we’re probably going to find a spot for him in the lineup.”
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)