Jan 23, 2013, 1:46 AM EDT
Two games into the L.A. Kings’ Stanley Cup title defense has yielded a pair of losses for the surprise 2012 champs.
The Kings couldn’t hang on to a 1-0 third-period lead and ended up losing 3-1 to the Colorado Avalanche Tuesday night.
“I don’t worry,” Kings coach Darryl Sutter told NHL.com after the game. “It doesn’t solve much, does it?”
After a lengthy celebration in honour of their Stanley Cup victory last June, the Kings were soundly beaten Saturday by the Chicago Blackhawks, who are now 3-0 to begin the season.
And, from all accounts, the same thing happened for the majority of Tuesday’s showdown in Denver.
Even the folks behind the Kings Twitter feed (@LAKings) that garnered so much attention during the 2012 postseason for its 140-character comedy stylings were calling it as they saw fit against the Avalanche.
Kings with a brutal turnover and with 3 unanswered goals the Avs take a 3-1 lead. 11min remaining in this one.—
LA Kings (@LAKings) January 23, 2013
One too many Kings failed clearing attempts and Landeskog gets a bounce from behind the net we are all tied at 1.—
LA Kings (@LAKings) January 23, 2013
On the other side, the Avalanche, led by last season’s rookie of the year Gabriel Landeskog, are now 1-1-0-0 on the season.
Landeskog got the Avs on the board one minute into the third period. David Jones gave Colorado the lead just 1:35 later and P.A. Parenteau added the insurance marker just before the midway point of the final period.
“I thought we showed a lot of resiliency,” Avalanche coach Joe Sacco was quoted as saying in The Denver Post following the victory. “The first period, I wouldn’t call it ideal, from our standpoint. But we gathered ourselves.”
The win may have come with a price, however. Steve Downie left the game with what the Post reported was a right knee injury and did not return.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Despite recent reports.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
News and notes entering Wednesday’s Stanley Cup Final showdown — will Boston continue to stymie the power play?
Jun 19, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with AHL Peoria.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Meanwhile, the clock keeps ticking.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
GM David Poile might be the busiest man in hockey.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Based on a couple of reports, the answer appears to be yes.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
“If you move up, there’s a chance to maybe get that better player.”
Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The duo spent the last three seasons together in Vancouver.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
He’ll be in charge of working with defensemen.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
Chicago has once again found themselves behind the Bruins.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Both were scheduled to become restricted free agents this summer.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:11 AM EDT
Ken Cruise showed off his work at Game 3.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
Boston has a 2-1 series lead.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Looks like Seth Jones might not be the number one selection.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
It’s the first NHL game on NBCSN to surpass 4 million viewers.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
They beat the Syracuse Crunch in six games.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
“It’s going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now.”
Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
Things are getting dramatic in Philadelphia.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
His annual cap hit is a hefty $7,727,273.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 15
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 11
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 33
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 57
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 88
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead