Jan 23, 2013, 3:11 PM EST
After a lengthy courting process, the San Jose Sharks are finally ready to sign Scott Gomez.
Terms of the deal, courtesy CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz — one year, $700,000 — will be made official on Wednesday.
The salary is a slight haircut from Gomez’s last deal (in case you hadn’t heard, he was making $7.36 million annually) but does provide an opportunity to play hockey again after Montreal severed ties with him via contract buyout.
Gomez has spent much of the past week meeting and skating with the Sharks. Where he fits into the lineup remains to be seen.
Sharks head coach Todd McLellan likes what he’s seen from Gomez in terms of desire to resurrect his career.
“My interaction with him so far, he’s coming across as a very hungry player, a guy that would love to prove himself right before he proves everybody else wrong,” McLellan told the San Jose Mercury News. “And that’s a pretty strong motivator.”
If there’s one area Gomez can really help San Jose with, it’s playoff experience. He’s appeared in 140 postseason conference, been to three Stanley Cup finals (winning twice) and, most recently, scored 14 points in 19 games during Montreal’s surprising run to the 2010 Eastern Conference finals.
Of note, Gomez’s coach during one of his Stanley Cup victories in New Jersey was Larry Robinson — currently serving as one of McLellan’s assistants in San Jose.
Update: Gomez will wear No. 23 with the Sharks.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
L.A. has won only once away from Staples Center this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Edmonton lost 7-1 on home ice. Six straight losses.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
Nov 23, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Washington lost out on a chance for three straight wins.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
These teams play against Dec. 27.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
Struggling is an understatement.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
Meanwhile, Edmonton at risk of losing six straight.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
New York takes both games of home-and-home set with Pittsburgh.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:23 PM EST
Difficult news for Washington.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
Dealt with injury last season.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
Fight didn’t last long.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
“This is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in my life with Toronto.”
Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Dallas has moved a trio of blue liners recently.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
“Let the referees do their job, we’ll do our job.”
Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The St. Louis defender had an assist on the eventual winner.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Conflicting ideas on whether it was a fight or not.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
In the rain, too, apparently.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
“They embarrassed us pretty good in their building.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)