Jan 23, 2013, 3:11 PM EST
After a lengthy courting process, the San Jose Sharks are finally ready to sign Scott Gomez.
Terms of the deal, courtesy CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz — one year, $700,000 — will be made official on Wednesday.
The salary is a slight haircut from Gomez’s last deal (in case you hadn’t heard, he was making $7.36 million annually) but does provide an opportunity to play hockey again after Montreal severed ties with him via contract buyout.
Gomez has spent much of the past week meeting and skating with the Sharks. Where he fits into the lineup remains to be seen.
Sharks head coach Todd McLellan likes what he’s seen from Gomez in terms of desire to resurrect his career.
“My interaction with him so far, he’s coming across as a very hungry player, a guy that would love to prove himself right before he proves everybody else wrong,” McLellan told the San Jose Mercury News. “And that’s a pretty strong motivator.”
If there’s one area Gomez can really help San Jose with, it’s playoff experience. He’s appeared in 140 postseason conference, been to three Stanley Cup finals (winning twice) and, most recently, scored 14 points in 19 games during Montreal’s surprising run to the 2010 Eastern Conference finals.
Of note, Gomez’s coach during one of his Stanley Cup victories in New Jersey was Larry Robinson — currently serving as one of McLellan’s assistants in San Jose.
Update: Gomez will wear No. 23 with the Sharks.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)