Jan 23, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
Did Philadelphia Flyers forward Brayden Schenn, 21, leave his feet before or after he made contact with New Jersey Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov, 30, midway through the second period of Tuesday’s contest?
That’s one of the questions on NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan’s mind. Schenn will be the subject of the first supplemental discipline hearing of the season, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.
You can watch the hit in question below:
Volchenkov still went on to log 17:48 minutes in New Jersey’s 3-0 victory. Schenn continued his eventful night by fighting 27-year-old forward Steve Bernier with just 33 seconds remaining in the game.
It’s worth noting that, as the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti pointed out, the rules for fines have been altered under the new CBA.
It used to be that the most the league could fine a player was $2,500 per incident, but now it’s half of a player’s daily salary up to a maximum of $10,000 for first-time offenders. That figure balloons to a maximum of $15,000 for repeat offenders.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)