Jan 23, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT
“The Pain Sponge” is suffering from a lower-body injury. He didn’t divulge the details to Haggerty when asked earlier today:
“I’m a game-time decision,” Seidenberg said. “Top secret stuff. It’s not a big issue at all, but you don’t want it to turn into something that could become a two-week thing in such a short season.”
The 31-year-old German often gets overshadowed – one almost imagines literally – by Zdeno Chara, but the numbers indicate that he’s a crucial defenseman for Boston. He’s averaged right around 24 minutes per night the last couple seasons, regularly only less than the 35-year-old Czech’s time on ice.
On the bright side, Seidenberg said it shouldn’t be too serious, but he’s being confidential enough that it’s unclear if that means more games missed after tonight. (The other bright side: Brad Marchand is playing.)
You can check out how the Bruins fare in his absence as the game’s about to kick off as of this writing.
If you want to know why he’s called “The Pain Sponge,” observe this quick gallery of him absorbing punishment and/or laying on the ice:
Before you feel too bad about him, there’s also this photo via Getty:
May 26, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT(Edit)
Matt Beleskey scored the game winner after initially losing his second line spot.
May 26, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT(Edit)
Chicago was trailing for most of the game.
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT(Edit)
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT(Edit)
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT(Edit)
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT(Edit)
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT(Edit)
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT(Edit)
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT(Edit)
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT(Edit)
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT(Edit)
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT(Edit)
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT(Edit)
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT(Edit)
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT(Edit)
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT(Edit)
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)