Jan 23, 2013, 5:46 PM EST
The incident occurred midway through the second period, and Schenn was not penalized on the play.
Here’s the video explanation from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan:
Schenn will miss Philadelphia’s next game — Thursday’s home date against the Rangers — and, based on his average annual salary, will forfeit $4,702.70 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Of note, this is Shanahan’s first disciplinary ruling of the 2013 season and his first suspension since dinging then-Rangers forward Brandon Prust one game for elbowing during the Eastern Conference final.
(Ironically, the Prust suspension was for elbowing — yup — Anton Volchenkov.)
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 4
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 65
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)