Jan 23, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
The incident occurred midway through the second period, and Schenn was not penalized on the play.
Here’s the video explanation from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan:
Schenn will miss Philadelphia’s next game — Thursday’s home date against the Rangers — and, based on his average annual salary, will forfeit $4,702.70 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Of note, this is Shanahan’s first disciplinary ruling of the 2013 season and his first suspension since dinging then-Rangers forward Brandon Prust one game for elbowing during the Eastern Conference final.
(Ironically, the Prust suspension was for elbowing — yup — Anton Volchenkov.)
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20