Jan 23, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
The 25-year-old pest tore the ACL in his right knee during Colorado’s 3-1 against the Los Angeles Kings at the Pepsi Center. The issue will force him to undergo surgery.
Losing Downie could be a tough blow for the Avs. While he resurrected his career with the Tampa Bay Lightning, he showed potential to be a difference-maker in Denver, scoring 13 points in 20 games despite playing with a banged-up shoulder after being traded last season.
He’s had a turbulent career for a still-young player.
First, he developed a reputation for over-the-line behavior. Downie was suspended one game on April 19, 2011 and 20 games on Sept. 28, 2007.
Downie still draws controversy for his in-your-face attitude (he turned some heads with this questionable hit on Sidney Crosby), but now his biggest issue seems to be health. The agitator missed seven contests last season, was limited to 57 games with Tampa Bay in 2010-11 and won’t play again until next season.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39