Jan 23, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
The 25-year-old pest tore the ACL in his right knee during Colorado’s 3-1 against the Los Angeles Kings at the Pepsi Center. The issue will force him to undergo surgery.
Losing Downie could be a tough blow for the Avs. While he resurrected his career with the Tampa Bay Lightning, he showed potential to be a difference-maker in Denver, scoring 13 points in 20 games despite playing with a banged-up shoulder after being traded last season.
He’s had a turbulent career for a still-young player.
First, he developed a reputation for over-the-line behavior. Downie was suspended one game on April 19, 2011 and 20 games on Sept. 28, 2007.
Downie still draws controversy for his in-your-face attitude (he turned some heads with this questionable hit on Sidney Crosby), but now his biggest issue seems to be health. The agitator missed seven contests last season, was limited to 57 games with Tampa Bay in 2010-11 and won’t play again until next season.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)