Jan 23, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
The 25-year-old pest tore the ACL in his right knee during Colorado’s 3-1 against the Los Angeles Kings at the Pepsi Center. The issue will force him to undergo surgery.
Losing Downie could be a tough blow for the Avs. While he resurrected his career with the Tampa Bay Lightning, he showed potential to be a difference-maker in Denver, scoring 13 points in 20 games despite playing with a banged-up shoulder after being traded last season.
He’s had a turbulent career for a still-young player.
First, he developed a reputation for over-the-line behavior. Downie was suspended one game on April 19, 2011 and 20 games on Sept. 28, 2007.
Downie still draws controversy for his in-your-face attitude (he turned some heads with this questionable hit on Sidney Crosby), but now his biggest issue seems to be health. The agitator missed seven contests last season, was limited to 57 games with Tampa Bay in 2010-11 and won’t play again until next season.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 38
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 16
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)