Jan 23, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
The 25-year-old pest tore the ACL in his right knee during Colorado’s 3-1 against the Los Angeles Kings at the Pepsi Center. The issue will force him to undergo surgery.
Losing Downie could be a tough blow for the Avs. While he resurrected his career with the Tampa Bay Lightning, he showed potential to be a difference-maker in Denver, scoring 13 points in 20 games despite playing with a banged-up shoulder after being traded last season.
He’s had a turbulent career for a still-young player.
First, he developed a reputation for over-the-line behavior. Downie was suspended one game on April 19, 2011 and 20 games on Sept. 28, 2007.
Downie still draws controversy for his in-your-face attitude (he turned some heads with this questionable hit on Sidney Crosby), but now his biggest issue seems to be health. The agitator missed seven contests last season, was limited to 57 games with Tampa Bay in 2010-11 and won’t play again until next season.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)