Jan 23, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
The 25-year-old pest tore the ACL in his right knee during Colorado’s 3-1 against the Los Angeles Kings at the Pepsi Center. The issue will force him to undergo surgery.
Losing Downie could be a tough blow for the Avs. While he resurrected his career with the Tampa Bay Lightning, he showed potential to be a difference-maker in Denver, scoring 13 points in 20 games despite playing with a banged-up shoulder after being traded last season.
He’s had a turbulent career for a still-young player.
First, he developed a reputation for over-the-line behavior. Downie was suspended one game on April 19, 2011 and 20 games on Sept. 28, 2007.
Downie still draws controversy for his in-your-face attitude (he turned some heads with this questionable hit on Sidney Crosby), but now his biggest issue seems to be health. The agitator missed seven contests last season, was limited to 57 games with Tampa Bay in 2010-11 and won’t play again until next season.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 0
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 1
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 20
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)