Jan 23, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Washington’s poor regular season start — zero wins, two losses, 10 goals allowed — has defenseman Karl Alzner feeling out of his element.
“I almost feel like a fish out of water right now,” Alzner told CSN Washington. “I’m too busy trying to be in the right position mentally instead of just being there. I know where to be. I’m over-thinking it.
“I think a lot of guys are probably in the same boat.”
That these words are coming from Alzner says a lot. He’s been relatively error-free through his first two games, posting an even plus-minus rating and committing zero giveaways while averaging over 21 minutes a night.
(A far cry from, say, Marcus Johansson, who has a minus-3 rating through two games and leads the team with three giveaways.)
To be fair, the Caps are in the midst of a big undertaking. They’re switching their style of play to head coach Adam Oates’ preferred style — where the emphasis is on skating, pressure and forcing turnovers — but haven’t had much time to learn it.
A brief training camp and two regular season games seemingly haven’t given Washington enough time to adjust to the new style.
“When you get tired your decision making goes — that’s the first thing,” winger Troy Brouwer explained. “Your brain starts to get lazy and then everything else follows. We’re having a tough time with just being crisp, being sharp.
“Whether that’s just practice, whether that’s out of practice, whether that’s just us not paying attention to details, we gotta crack that and we gotta crack it fast.”
Apr 25, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He’ll backup for a fourth straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
New York, Nashville and Vancouver are all facing elimination today.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Both were in their first season with the hockey club.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
He helped Russia win gold last year.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Happened on Wednesday in Vancouver.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Bickell and Versteeg swap spots.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
“Thought it was a typo.”
Apr 25, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He declined an invite to the Worlds because of the injury.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
He announced his retirement from international competition nearly a year ago.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Canucks , Preds and Islanders look to avoid elimination.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT
St. Louis couldn’t capitalize on an early lead.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh and Ottawa need to win to survive.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:24 PM EDT
He didn’t get a point in the first round.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Senators coach Dave Cameron called it “cheap” and a sign of frustration.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
Evgeni Malkin finished the series without a point.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
Alexander Steen played a big role in that marker.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:57 PM EDT
Another 45 saves tonight.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The odds of him playing were initially “50-50.”
Apr 24, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT
That tied Game 5 between Pittsburgh and the Rangers at 1-1.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:25 PM EDT
He won’t return tonight.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)