Jan 23, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Washington’s poor regular season start — zero wins, two losses, 10 goals allowed — has defenseman Karl Alzner feeling out of his element.
“I almost feel like a fish out of water right now,” Alzner told CSN Washington. “I’m too busy trying to be in the right position mentally instead of just being there. I know where to be. I’m over-thinking it.
“I think a lot of guys are probably in the same boat.”
That these words are coming from Alzner says a lot. He’s been relatively error-free through his first two games, posting an even plus-minus rating and committing zero giveaways while averaging over 21 minutes a night.
(A far cry from, say, Marcus Johansson, who has a minus-3 rating through two games and leads the team with three giveaways.)
To be fair, the Caps are in the midst of a big undertaking. They’re switching their style of play to head coach Adam Oates’ preferred style — where the emphasis is on skating, pressure and forcing turnovers — but haven’t had much time to learn it.
A brief training camp and two regular season games seemingly haven’t given Washington enough time to adjust to the new style.
“When you get tired your decision making goes — that’s the first thing,” winger Troy Brouwer explained. “Your brain starts to get lazy and then everything else follows. We’re having a tough time with just being crisp, being sharp.
“Whether that’s just practice, whether that’s out of practice, whether that’s just us not paying attention to details, we gotta crack that and we gotta crack it fast.”
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
He was their final restricted free agent.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
He emerged as the team’s No. 2 center last season.
Jul 27, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
That adds another layer to the Flames’ goaltending competition.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
He has played in 132 NHL games.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
It led to him having a minor procedure.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
He’ll enter training camp with a shot of making the team.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
“I can be a lot better.”
Jul 27, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
He’s the last RFA left for them to re-sign.
Jul 26, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
We’ve hit that part of free agency.
Jul 26, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
They’re both eligible to become free agents next summer.
Jul 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
They had the league’s third-worst unit last season.
Jul 26, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He’s scheduled for arbitration on Friday.
Jul 26, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
It’ll be his third team in the past year.
Jul 26, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
He was injured during World Championships in May.
Jul 26, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Reggie vs. Gustl: who you got?
Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Can they compromise by Tuesday?
Jul 26, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Positive updates following a scary situation.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)