Jan 23, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Washington’s poor regular season start — zero wins, two losses, 10 goals allowed — has defenseman Karl Alzner feeling out of his element.
“I almost feel like a fish out of water right now,” Alzner told CSN Washington. “I’m too busy trying to be in the right position mentally instead of just being there. I know where to be. I’m over-thinking it.
“I think a lot of guys are probably in the same boat.”
That these words are coming from Alzner says a lot. He’s been relatively error-free through his first two games, posting an even plus-minus rating and committing zero giveaways while averaging over 21 minutes a night.
(A far cry from, say, Marcus Johansson, who has a minus-3 rating through two games and leads the team with three giveaways.)
To be fair, the Caps are in the midst of a big undertaking. They’re switching their style of play to head coach Adam Oates’ preferred style — where the emphasis is on skating, pressure and forcing turnovers — but haven’t had much time to learn it.
A brief training camp and two regular season games seemingly haven’t given Washington enough time to adjust to the new style.
“When you get tired your decision making goes — that’s the first thing,” winger Troy Brouwer explained. “Your brain starts to get lazy and then everything else follows. We’re having a tough time with just being crisp, being sharp.
“Whether that’s just practice, whether that’s out of practice, whether that’s just us not paying attention to details, we gotta crack that and we gotta crack it fast.”
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
He’ll start the season as Vancouver’s backup goaltender.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
They are now set to become unrestricted free agents.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly earn $1 million next season.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT
Toronto, Calgary and Pittsburgh are amongst the teams, which have reached out.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:54 PM EDT
The payment will be made on Wednesday.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
Bill Hay and Peter Karmanos Jr. are also going in as builders.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
Also inside is information about the potential cap recapture situation the Kings might be stuck with.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:53 PM EDT
Jun 29, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Processing Monday’s surprising termination.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Could make about a $15 million difference …
Jun 29, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
The 24-year-old’s three-year, $2.7 million deal is set to expire on Wednesday.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
If accurate, that’s $10.4M between Niemi and Kari Lehtonen.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
The 24-year-old was a pending restricted free agent.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Get your dog puns ready.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
He should draw plenty of free agent interest.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Both players can be bought out on Tuesday, if they clear.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Update: Parenteau’s buyout is already official.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:01 PM EDT
He wasn’t tendered a qualifying offer by the Bolts on Monday.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
He said “the fit was perfect” in Minnesota following the season.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
The big forward provides injury insurance.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 22
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)