Jan 23, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Washington’s poor regular season start — zero wins, two losses, 10 goals allowed — has defenseman Karl Alzner feeling out of his element.
“I almost feel like a fish out of water right now,” Alzner told CSN Washington. “I’m too busy trying to be in the right position mentally instead of just being there. I know where to be. I’m over-thinking it.
“I think a lot of guys are probably in the same boat.”
That these words are coming from Alzner says a lot. He’s been relatively error-free through his first two games, posting an even plus-minus rating and committing zero giveaways while averaging over 21 minutes a night.
(A far cry from, say, Marcus Johansson, who has a minus-3 rating through two games and leads the team with three giveaways.)
To be fair, the Caps are in the midst of a big undertaking. They’re switching their style of play to head coach Adam Oates’ preferred style — where the emphasis is on skating, pressure and forcing turnovers — but haven’t had much time to learn it.
A brief training camp and two regular season games seemingly haven’t given Washington enough time to adjust to the new style.
“When you get tired your decision making goes — that’s the first thing,” winger Troy Brouwer explained. “Your brain starts to get lazy and then everything else follows. We’re having a tough time with just being crisp, being sharp.
“Whether that’s just practice, whether that’s out of practice, whether that’s just us not paying attention to details, we gotta crack that and we gotta crack it fast.”
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)