Jan 22, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk scored his first goal of the season in style.
The New Jersey Devils sniper made good on the NHL’s first penalty shot attempt of the year on Tuesday night, besting Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov to give the Devils a 3-0 lead early in the second period:
Kovalchuk was rewarded the penalty shot after Philly blueliner Kimmo Timonen hauled him down on a breakaway.
The goal was Kovalchuk’s fourth career attempt, and his third successful conversion.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming