Jan 22, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk scored his first goal of the season in style.
The New Jersey Devils sniper made good on the NHL’s first penalty shot attempt of the year on Tuesday night, besting Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov to give the Devils a 3-0 lead early in the second period:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Kovalchuk was rewarded the penalty shot after Philly blueliner Kimmo Timonen hauled him down on a breakaway.
The goal was Kovalchuk’s fourth career attempt, and his third successful conversion.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)