Jan 22, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk scored his first goal of the season in style.
The New Jersey Devils sniper made good on the NHL’s first penalty shot attempt of the year on Tuesday night, besting Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov to give the Devils a 3-0 lead early in the second period:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Kovalchuk was rewarded the penalty shot after Philly blueliner Kimmo Timonen hauled him down on a breakaway.
The goal was Kovalchuk’s fourth career attempt, and his third successful conversion.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 103
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 49
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63