Jan 22, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk scored his first goal of the season in style.
The New Jersey Devils sniper made good on the NHL’s first penalty shot attempt of the year on Tuesday night, besting Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov to give the Devils a 3-0 lead early in the second period:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Kovalchuk was rewarded the penalty shot after Philly blueliner Kimmo Timonen hauled him down on a breakaway.
The goal was Kovalchuk’s fourth career attempt, and his third successful conversion.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)